Chapter 6 - Lies

It is sad when your boyfriend kisses you and you don’t feel a thing. It’s sad when you only want him to let you go. It’s so sad when you feel cheap and low when he kisses you. It’s heartbreaking when you know it’s not even true, that that kiss is a lie as everything else.

It sucks when he is so wasted he can barely stand or say something coherent and he drags you around a party, showing you off as if you were a trophy he just won. “Hey, this is my hot girlfriend!” “Hey, look at my girlfriend!” “Hey, she’s mine!” Never using my name, treating me just as a possession. It makes me feel so disgusted with myself and I feel ashamed. I want to go home and stay in the shower for hours, trying to forget this.

And he’s so drunk that even when the party is not over yet he has to go. Andrew sees him hanging from my neck, trying to stay on his feet but barely managing it.

“It’s time to go home, Payne,” Andrew says grabbing Liam’s other arm and passing it over his own shoulder. “You’re pissed,” he adds and I agree. Liam doesn't even speak, he only slurs.

“I’m fiiiiiine,” Liam slurs and I think he says that, I’m not sure.

“What?” Andrew asks and I know he didn't understand a thing of what Liam said. “Whatever, you’re going home.” Then the guy looks at me with an apologetic smile. He’s been drinking all night but he looks sober. Or at least, he looks like he knows what he is doing. “He won’t drive you home, that’s for sure. Do you need to call a taxi or something?” he asks me and I sigh.

I came here on my own, I’m not surprised that Liam won’t drive me home. That he’s so irresponsible as to get that drunk and forget about his girlfriend.

“I’ll be fine. Let’s just get him home,” I say and I realise too late that I should be the one taking Liam home and looking after him. That’s what girlfriends do, isn’t it? But I don’t even know where he lives.

Andrew doesn’t seem to notice that and maybe that’s the alcohol in his system, so I’m thankful. Still, I help him to get Liam outside where paparazzi are still waiting —are you kidding me? It’s been hours!—and get him in the taxi we called. Andrew gives the driver the address and then looks at me and I know what he’s thinking so without a word I get inside.

“I’ll call you when I get him home, don’t worry,” I tell Andrew from inside and he nods.

Then we’re off, to Liam’s place and I have no idea how I’ll manage to get him inside. He’s barely awake and I sigh because he’s literally resting on my lap. I place my hand on his forehead because I don’t know what else to do. Liam sighs and that tells me he appreciates the gesture. As the driver keeps doing his job, I ruffle Liam’s hair softly, like I’m barely touching it. Liam sighs and moves getting more comfortable. I hope he doesn’t fall asleep. His hair is so soft that I’m surprised and I barely notice how my anger fades away a little bit. Just a little. When the driver stops and tells us we’ve arrived I notice Liam did fall asleep and I get furious again. This wasn’t part of the deal!

I thank the driver and pay, with Liam’s money because this is his fault. Then I wake him up—or try to—and drag him to the building. Once we walk past the doors, with Liam literally hanging from my neck again, the caretaker of the building rushes to help me.

“Mr Payne!” he exclaims grabbing Liam’s other arm like Andrew did before. “Miss,” he greets me.

“Hi, I’m Belle. We were at a party, he got carried away. Can you help me take him to his room?” I ask him and he nods so we walk to the lift and he presses the number eight on the lift wall. Once the doors open we keep carrying Liam to his flat and I have to search in his pocket for the key. Oh God, how did I end up here?