Chapter 24 - New Approach

I was supposed to come back on Sunday afternoon, not at sunrise after driving almost all night and dropping Liam at his place. That was not the plan, that was not how I prepared myself and I certainly didn’t fathom what was going to happen.

I’m so angry and disappointed and that’s one of the worst combinations ever.

I think of what happened, how Ruth looked like after Liam said those nasty things, how she cried and finally agreed to change the date. And worst of all, I think of Liam just accepting that instead of being the adult he is and doing something nice for his sister showing his consideration and I see red all over again. I can’t believe there’s someone as selfish as him. I really want to go back to his flat and just slap him silly.

By the time I walk inside my home, completely knackered and just begging for my bed, my father is already up. I really don’t understand how he can even wake up early on Sundays. If I can sleep in, then I sleep in, no matter what.

“Oh Belle! You’re here early. I thought you said you were coming around dinnertime,” Father says and I’m so tired I can barely make it to the table and sit across him. I don’t want to tell him what really happened but I don’t like lying to him and I’ve been doing that quite a lot recently.

“Some things happened,” I say and he looks alarmed, his eyes widen and his body leans closer to mine in that inviting attitude. “Nothing too serious, Dad. It’s just a family issue and it was better to just come right back after the party,” I explain. Not exactly a lie but not the whole truth.

“You look dead on your feet. Did you sleep on your way here?” he asks me next and I shake my head. He reaches out to grab my hand and gives me a light squeeze.

“Then you must go to sleep now. It’s really early, even for me. I just couldn’t sleep, I was so excited!” exclaims Father next and I smile. I might be tired, but I’ll always feel happy to see my father doing well as to smile so widely.

“Why is that?” I ask him with a soft smile and my eyes half-closed.

I think all the rage has faded and now I’m left exhausted and drained after holding it for so long. I snapped at Liam, but it could’ve been worse. I really don’t get enough credit for not murdering all the people that annoy me, which is almost everyone.

“Ariel is amazing, Belle. We’re working so well together. She’s really hardworking and obedient and I know she’ll get far. I haven’t felt so sure about an artist in so long. I close my eyes and I can hear all the arrangement for her songs, to make them even better. This album will be the best I have ever produced, I can feel it, Belle,” he finishes with a big smile, looking ten years younger.

Since Mother died, it was like Dad aged out of the blue, he suddenly looked at least five years older. For a while he was just a shell and I couldn’t even recognise the man that saw me being born. But today… today as he tells me this I can see that man that was a real father and who was great in his work. I see the man that got lost the moment Mum left us and that sight is the most invigorating thing I could’ve ever asked for.

This. This is what I always wanted to see, my father being really engaged in his work, excited and sure of every decision. This is what I needed and longed to see for so many years and it’s finally here. He’s found his path again, he’s on his feet and he’s moving forward, I can feel it.

It was worth it, then. All the annoyance, all the headache with Liam was worth it because my father is making the best out of his last chance.

And when I think of that I lose my smile because I realise something I had ignored until now: I’ll have to stay with Liam. He’s the reason why my father got this chance, if I break the contract Dad will also lose his chance with Ariel, I’m sure of that and I can’t do that to him, not when he’s finally getting back on his feet. I can’t, I won’t do it.