Chapter 10 - The Call

I thought my opinion on Liam was bad and that it couldn’t get worse. I only saw him as a stuck-up rockstar who couldn’t care less about anyone else but himself. But of course, there’s always room for improvement… or to make things worse. 

It was naïve of me to think that Liam wasn’t going to butt in again and make sure I bought the kind of dress he would approve of. I was foolish to think that buying the dress was the end of the issue, because oh no, Liam had to make sure things could drag on even more so that my opinion on him could get even worse. I don’t know if he does that on purpose or what, but it’s annoying.

“Why don’t you want to show me the dress?” he exclaims loudly over the phone.

I sigh, asking myself how I ended up in this situation. I thought he was calling just to make sure I found a dress but he’s been nagging me to show it to him for ten minutes already. It’s not that I want it to be a surprise or anything, it’s just that I don’t like giving in to all his whims. I’m the one who’s going to wear the dress and I know it’s suitable for a premiere. Even Havi said so. I don’t like doing all what Liam says without even putting a fight. I guess it’s my pride kicking in.

“Because you don’t need to see it,” I reply for the third time. “I bought it and it’s a good one. That’s all you need to know.”

“But I want to make sure it’s a good dress!” he insists and I roll my eyes.

He’s a guy, what could he possible know about dresses? He probably has a whole team that take care of what he wears all the time and are in charge to make him look flawless.

“Well, you’ll have to trust me here.”

“How can I trust you when you always look so plain?” he snaps in a very annoyed tone and I take a sharp breath.

Plain? Did he really have to say that?

I clench the mobile in my hand, my knuckles probably going white. With my other hand I pinch the bridge of my nose, doing my best to stay calm and not storm off my home and go kill him. He really is horrible, why can’t he be a bit more thoughtful and mind his words before he opens his mouth? We can’t have a conversation without him finding a way to insult me.

“Pardon?” I breathe out and he doesn’t reply.

I know I don’t dress with the latest trends because, in all honesty, I don’t have the extra money to spend on things that are not strictly necessary. Plus, I’m a teacher, not some flashy model or whatever he dated before. I have to look respectable, even if I’m only twenty-one.

“Why is so hard for you to show me a picture of the dress? I just wanna know you didn’t pick a boring dress, that’s all,” he tries one more time, not even bothering to apologise for insulting me before.

“Ugh, fine, you jackass,” I say, still really pissed that he can be so detestable.

Without hanging up, I go for the dress and put it on my bed for display. I love the dress, it’s absolutely beautiful. There’s no way he can’t complain about it, I’m even a bit worried it might be too much. Then I snap a picture and send it to him before I put the mobile against my ear again.

“Fine, I sent you a picture of the dress.”

“Okay, don’t hang up,” he says and I sigh, knowing that he must be seeing the picture. My eyes wander over the dress and a little smile crawls to my lips at the sight. “Belle, what’s that? It’s a premiere, not your wedding!” is the next thing I hear and what makes me snap back to reality.

“W-what?” I stutter, taken aback by his reaction.

“For real, what were you thinking? A white long dress? It’s a premiere for an action movie, you can’t wear that,” Liam complains and I blink quickly, not believing what I’m hearing.