Chapter 14 - Nicer

Our lunch together is kind of awkward, for lack of a better word. We just eat what we ordered without making eye contact. He's sulking again. Seriously, he's like a kid who gets angry when criticised. Well, if he acts like a kid then I shall treat him like a kid.

We are here on a date and it looks nothing like that. I bet if paparazzi take pictures of us they would think I'm babysitting him. That's the opposite of what I was hired for.

"You know," I break the ice but still not meeting his eyes, the food on my plate is quite interesting. "If you brought me here for a date you should act more like a boyfriend," I continue. It's not like I know about relationships, but I've read many books and watched tons of romance films so it's not like I'm completely clueless. If he walks ahead of me, just looking for the next shop, no one would think we are dating.

We are not really dating, but that's not the point.

"What do you mean?" he asks and I'm surprised.

He's dated, he should know.

"I mean, it's not very boyfriend-like if I just follow you around as you go on a shopping spree. Couples are supposed to be close and nice to each other and if you want people to believe we actually fancy each other, then you should be nicer."

"You should also be nicer. You only criticise me," he retorts and this time my head shoots up and our eyes meet, his are defiant.

Okay, I think he is right. I haven't been nice to him but that's because I never really wanted to do this. I really don't like him and I'm not a people person, I've never tried to be friendly to someone before.

"If you're nicer, I'll be nicer," he proposes and I stare at him.

That's fair, I can't complain. It's how things should work and he's actually being sensible, yet for some reason I don't want to give in. I guess you can call me stubborn.

"Okay," I accept under my breath and looking down.

"What did you say? I can't hear you." And here we go again, acting like a child. I look up and he has that conceited grin that makes my blood boil with annoyance. However, if I snap now it means I can't be nice and I can't keep my word.

Damn you, Liam Payne.

"I said okay, I agree to your terms and conditions."

His smile widens and becomes cocky, which makes me clench my fists. He is insufferable. I'll have to control my short temper and I don't have practice doing that. Not even the kids push my buttons like Liam does.

"So, Belle, why don't you tell me about your life? I want to know my girlfriend better," Liam states and I sigh. He's already trying to be nice, leaning in over the table, trying to get close. He even looks interested.

"I'm a primary teacher. I had to hurry things quite a bit because I needed to work and help my father," I tell him honestly. "It was exhausting having to study and work at the same time, plus doing it all faster than usual. I officially started working this year and it's been…  interesting. I did some training before, of course, but it's different to be completely in charge of one class. My students are quite brilliant and I know we'll get far. They are all nice kids. I don't particularly like kids, but they respect me as a teacher and behave so it works out."

"You don't like kids but you are a primary teacher? That doesn't sound logical," he points out and I look down.

"I know and if you ask me what I really would've liked I would have to answer studying. I would've loved studying in uni and take my time. There are so many things I wanna learn. Psychology, politics, law, gender studies, creative writing, sociology… I know I can learn by myself but it's still different. I didn't have the time to enjoy being a student. I was always worried about Father. That's why I chose something stable that I could manage to accomplish soon. Plus, a teacher has longer holiday which allows me to stay home and help Father."