Chapter 18 - Unnecessary Things

Liam asks me if I want to go somewhere else but I feel quite uneasy right now so I decline. I can't relax after the things he's said and how he's acted so far, so I just sit uncomfortable and focus on my fingers, which look rather fascinating tonight, if I say so myself.

"You're awfully quiet, Belle," Liam notices and I don't even look at him. "Is there something wrong? Do you feel poorly after the meal?" For some reason, he actually sounds concerned.

"I'm fine, just tired," is my quick response and I do not make eye contact.

Maybe I ate something that I shouldn't have, because I feel weird now, however, I'm sure once I rest a bit and put distance between Liam and I everything will be fine. People who change so easily and behave unpredictably aren't people you should trust. Liam acts like a total jerk one day, then as a caring person as if he actually gave a shit about me the next. It's likely that he's a good actor but people who act in real life aren't reliable, either. His uncertain behaviour makes me uncomfortable.

"You sure?" he insists and I nod. "Okay, I'll drive you home but if something is wrong let me know, I'll take care of it."

I look at him for a second because something sounds off in that statement but I can't put my finger on it.

"You have nothing to worry about, Liam," I assure him and he looks back at me briefly before focusing on the road again.

I go back to pay attention to my hands until I realise we are in front of my home so it's time to say goodbye. I actually hurry and by the time I'm on the sidewalk, Liam is also there.

"I'll walk you to the door. Isn't that what a boyfriend should do?" he ponders and I'm surprised. Is he actually trying to be a gentleman or does he learn that fast? "Plus, you never know if a paparazzo is hidden somewhere."

Ah, that makes more sense, he's keeping up with the pretence. Uff, that actually is a relief.

I nod and we walk side by side until we reach the door of my home.

"Thank you for tonight," I say politely facing him and keeping a collected expression.

He smiles kindly. Yes, kindly.

"It was my pleasure. I'll call you soon, okay? So we can go out again before the tour kicks off," he reminds me and I nod.

"Sure. Havi will call me with the details and whatnot," I say even if I heard he said he would call me. That's Havi's job, after all, it's what should happen.

But Liam shakes his head. "No, this is our relationship, so I'm taking care of it. I'll call you," he insists.

"It's a fake relationship, you don't have to bother," I make sure he doesn't forget that.

Liam sighs heavily as if he were losing his patience. "Belle, I asked for a girlfriend, not another job."

"What does that mean?" I ask because I have a bad feeling.

"I'll call you, Belle. Good night," he states before he places his palm on the door behind me, caging me and then he leans in faster than I can react. In a blink of an eye his lips are on mine and then they are gone.

He doesn't say anything else, just turns on his heels and walks away. I stay there, blinking in confusion and shock until I can react. I shake my head and release the air I was holding. I push every thought at the back of my mind and just walk inside my house. I refuse to think about all this, about Liam because it's irrelevant.

After two days I don't even care anymore. I realise I was having a weird day that night because my period was near and Liam just caught me off guard. During my period I become a more unstable person, so it's normal I don't react the same way I would in some situations.