Chapter 21 - Meeting the Family

Liam picks me up on Saturday morning punctually and even helps me with my small luggage for the weekend. The most inconvenient thing is the dress, which can't get wrinkled for today. I haven't shown it to him because he said he wanted it to be a surprise, and he insisted that he trusts my taste so he has no reason to worry. He also greets my father before we depart and promises to take care of me, for which Father looks really pleased. He smiles at me and gives me a tight hug before saying goodbye, and right when he is about to let go of me, he whispers in my ear.

"I'm glad he is not as bad as it seemed at first. Or maybe he's changed."

I don't know if he has changed because it's been a bit more than a month and that's too little time, but I do know he is not as bad as I first thought. I can't tell exactly why he acted the way he did before. Maybe he had reasons, maybe he is just a jerk and now he is controlling himself. I don't know and I'm not sure I care enough to find out, as long as things keep going like this it'll be fine. He is not a beast per se, or maybe he's more like a domesticated beast. Or he is in between! Regardless, it's too early to provide a final judgment regarding that.

Liam Payne is originally from Wolverhampton, so it's not a long trip and during the ride he tells me about his family. Names, relationships and what to expect, more or less. Ruth is the one who is going to get married, to Arthur. He also has another sister, older than him, Nicola and she has a boyfriend, Rupert. His parents are still married and alive, and I should also expect to meet some cousin of him. All the other guests will be friends from the groom and the bride. I just focus on remembering the names of his immediate family.

He also reminds me that his family doesn't know I was hired to be his girlfriend, for all what they know our relationship is as real as Ruth's and Arthur's rehearsal dinner. They also know that I was the one who convinced him to attend the rehearsal dinner party, so he tells me they are very excited to meet me. Especially because he never told them about me until they saw me at the premiere.

By noon, Liam is parking his car in front of a nice and big house that looks quite new. He told me on our way that he used to live in a very small house, but once he had the means to, he bought his parents a new house for them to live comfortably. I smile at that information, seeing in that action the kind person everyone talks about. Maybe the relationship with his family isn't the best right now, but he still cares about them.

At the door comes a woman, probably fifty years old, with a big smile, teary eyes, who hugs Liam tightly when she sees him. I assume she is Karen, his mother. Behind her I see a man, Geoff, his father I presume. At least, he looks like a father to me.

"My kid, it's so good to see you! I'm so happy you came," she cries, still hugging Liam.

"Mum, you're suffocating me, please," he begs, trying to push her away but she clings to him. The man behind walks up to me and gives me a handshake.

"You must be Belle, Liam's girlfriend. It's nice to meet you," he says politely and I smile at him.

"The pleasure is all mine," I reply and only when she hears me, Karen lets go of Liam and looks at me. Her smile is radiant.

"Oh, Belle! Thank you so much for bringing my child home," she cries and now she is hugging me tightly. I can tell why Liam was begging to be released. "Thank you, thank you," she says in my ear and her voice is trembling, like she's about to burst out crying. I hug her back, patting her back softly.

I wonder when was the last time Liam paid them a visit.

"I'm really happy to be here," I tell her and she pulls back, her hands on my shoulders and she's taking a good look at me.