Chapter 9 - The Dress

Havi is smiling content with herself when I open the door of the dresser. I have to be honest with myself; if it weren’t for Havi there’s no way I would’ve even looked at this dress. I tend to go for dark colours because I just feel more comfortable in them, but that does not mean I don’t wear light colours. Silver is my favourite colour and I have many light grey things. I also like green and blue and purple. And amazingly, my other favourite colour is pink. The walls of my room are pink, to be honest. That doesn’t mean I dress like Elle Woods, although I would like to. I have to admit that I once thought of studying law not only because I just find it interesting, but also because I wanted to be like her. I was very young, okay? Then I realised that studying law takes quite a few more years and I needed to be working soon.

So even if I like colours, I would’ve never picked a white dress for myself, and especially not one like this. It’s long and it falls with the grace of a Greek tunic. The straps also are like in a tunic and the waist. I actually look like a Greek woman taken from the ancient times. The fabric feels so soft and tender on my skin and I feel tall and powerful in this gown. It is definitely something that attracts everybody’s attention but at the same time is classy. I actually feel like myself and not like a cheap hooker that someone bought to go with him to a premiere.

It is true that clothes cannot change who you are, but they can give you the confidence to do what you want. In my case, to go to that premier with a jerk I can’t stand.

“Didn’t I tell you it was the dress?” Havi says folding her arms, her smile growing even more content.

I chuckle, turning around to take another look at the dress and how I look in it. Even if I would’ve never worn a white dress before I know this is the one for the premier. I wouldn’t use it for anything else. I think it was made for me and for this occasion.

“You gotta get your hair done in a Greek style, too. With like a braid crown or something. And golden jewellery,” Havi comments next, taking a step closer. Now I can see us both in the mirror. “You’re gonna take everyone’s breath away.”

“I have no idea how you found this one,” I whisper, my eyes still glued on the reflection. I can’t believe how well it suits me and how comfortable I feel in it. “Thank you. I would’ve never picked this without you.”

“I’m glad I was of help. I bet Liam will go crazy,” she jokes and I lose my smile.

“He’ll still be a beast,” I mumble and she places her hand on my shoulder, giving me a soft squeeze.

“I’m sorry you have to do this but complaining doesn’t help much. All you can do is just go through it and try your best to get along with him. It’ll be over before you notice it. But if you don’t try to get along with him it’s only going to be harder,” she tells me seriously and I know it, I’m very aware that I’m not making things easy for myself. Liam just brings the worst in me. “Plus, who knows? Maybe when he sees you in this dress he falls in love with you and becomes nice.”

I laugh at the idea. I don’t think Liam is the kind of man who falls in love. At least not anymore; maybe the old Liam could have. This new version only looks like a womaniser who can’t stand to be on his own. And there’s no way I would fall in love with a beast like him so that crazy thought will never happen.

“Hey, it was just a possibility,” Havi laughs stepping back, meeting my eyes in the mirror. “You never know.”

“Oh I know. Plus, I don’t even want him to fall in love with me because that would mean having him trying to win my heart and that is just absurd. It’s never gonna happen.”