Chapter 12 - Girlfriend's Duty

Ariel is definitely amazing. She’s really talented and so humble and despite she never had any professional training, she can control and project her voice remarkably. She said that her mother taught her since she was a little girl but she’s never had a vocal coach since then. I think she doesn’t need one, but just to make the best out of her talent, Dad has decided to get her one. I’ve been the whole afternoon with them, seeing how she trains and does everything as told. She’s very diligent and hard-working so they progress so much in one afternoon. It’s mind-blowing and I can’t wait for her album. Dad is really serious and committed so I have faith this time, I actually think he’ll produce an amazing work because there’s no way Ariel could have a bad song. Plus, I listened to one of her songs —they were rehearsing it— and it was so… so beautiful. Heart-warming, natural, honest yet delicate and with a feeling of innocence that turns out so refreshing.

She’s not only talented, though. She’s really sweet. Her shyness makes her so cute and when I see her blushing I have this urge to hug her and promise her that I’ll protect her. I wonder if that’s how Harry feels, because he watches her as if she were the only girl on the planet, his smile is always present and his eyes show such devotion. I’m not the kind who wants a relationship or to be in love, all those things are irrelevant for me because I have real problems to deal with, but when I see the way they look at each other I do feel jealous.

Anyhow, spending the afternoon at the label with Dad, Ariel and Harry leaves me in a good mood so by the time I get home, without Father because he had to stay at the label for a meeting, I’m still smiling, anticipating the final result of Ariel’s and Dad’s hard work. In fact, I’m very eager to see her again. She’s so nice and cute, plus, Dad seemed more at ease with my presence there, although I don’t think they’ll need me. Ariel will get used to Dad and they’ll work together perfectly.

But nothing lasts forever and my good mood has to be ruined. I have to get a call from reality to remind me of the bad choices I’ve made so far.

Yes, I mean Liam.

It’s so easy to forget that I’m doing this, I mean it’s still quite new for me and as I’m so unwilling to this I kind of make myself forget, but I can’t escape reality for too long.

“Hello there!” a cheery voice says from the other end of the line.

“What?” I reply because just seeing his contact on the screen of my mobile pisses me off.

“And then you say I’m the rude one. Is that the way to talk to your boyfriend who has missed you the whole day?” I can totally hear the sarcasm in his voice and that makes me angry, but it’s worse because I know he’s right. I’m being the rude one this time, he did nothing wrong, as in right now, for me to react like that.

“I’m sorry,” I apologise feeling ashamed for the way I acted. I’m better than this, I can control myself. Unless he does something, I have no reason to snap. “What do I owe the pleasure of your call?”

Fight fire with fire.

“Oh, isn’t missing you reason enough to call?” I take a deep breath to give me strength to deal with him.

“Oh, silly me for thinking you could have another reason. I have missed you, too, beloved boyfriend.” It is disgusting how fake that sounds, but I think that’s the point.

“Then I have the perfect solution for us!” Liam carries on so cheerfully. He thinks all this is a game.

With my mobile still pressed against my ear I walk inside my room and sit on my bed. “And what would that be?” I ask.