Chapter 19 - Thoughtful

It's been a few days since Liam walked out of my home, pissed because I didn't accept his gift. I'm getting relaxed so I sigh when I see his contact on the screen of my mobile. I'm surprised, though, because it seems he remembers when I have lunchtime and I can pick up the call, he doesn't call me during class like the first days of our fake relationship. I smile when I realise it's been almost a month since we started, meaning I'm a month closer to be done with this.

Yes!

"Hello?" I answer in a lighter mood after that thought crossed my mind.

"Hello, Belle. How are you doing today?" Liam asks politely so I don't lose my smile.

"I'm doing quite well, thank you for asking, Liam." It's like training a dog, you must reward the puppy when it's doing well, so using a tender and happy tone with Liam is my way to reward him. Kind of. It's not like I can give him a treat, I think he would get offended if I give him a cookie after he acts considerate. "How are you doing?"

"I'm doing much better now that we're talking," he replies and I can't help it, I snort at the cheesy phrase and I don't think he takes offense because I believe I hear him chuckling, too. "I like when you laugh like that," he muses next and my laughter dies as fast as it exploded.

"Well, it's easier to laugh when you're being nice," I tell him seriously and I can hear him sigh.

"I'm trying," he confesses and a slow smile comes to my slip.

"That's good, that you control the jerk. It makes our jobs easier," I concede and I think he groans. "It's okay, we all have bad sides. Some of us are worse at controlling it than others, that's all," I add trying to make amends for calling him a jerk. Not that I haven't done that before, but he's trying and that's indeed very important.

"Belle, you don't need to remind me every time we speak that this is a job for you," he says and I shake my head, even if he can't see me. Reminding him that this is a job is my way to keep distance between us, to make things easier for both of us.

"It's a job for you, too, Liam," I insist and I'm sure this time I hear him groan.

"It's not a job for me," he snaps, taking me by surprise. "I didn't ask for a job, Belle. My job is being in a band, not dating you. I didn't go to Simon asking for more work, don't get confused."

I don't dare to say anything else because I don't want things to get awkward. I'm not sure-or better said, I don't want to be sure-what he means by those words, so I choose the bliss of ignorance. Even if it's deliberate.

"So can you please let me enjoy this time? I just wanted an easy relationship without complications. I won't pester you again after out time is over, but just quit the repetition, you're not a parrot," he requests and I gasp at his words.

Okay, I understand now he wanted a simple relationship, without real feelings and complications. He didn't want a girl to fall head over heels for him and with whom he could spend a nice time. If I remind him this is a job-at least for me-I break the illusion and, okay I get it, it's annoying for him.

"Fine," I agree because after all he just requested me to not repeat it anymore, he didn't demand me and that's a big improvement.

"Thank you," he says and I can't stop the smile on my lips. He's improved a lot in one month and it's not as terrible as before. In fact, if I have to be honest, I'm not having such a bad time now. Yes, sometimes he still gets on my nerves, but it's not all the time, and I can't forget that. "Anyhow, I called for another reason, besides talking to you, of course," I chuckle at his words, feeling the tension fading away. "Today is our first month anniversary and we need to celebrate," he chirps in a very cheerful tone that I hadn't heard coming from him before.