Chapter 53

Chapter 53

I was walking through the school’s corridors with my mind off, remembering last night’s events.  

Last night was all kinds of weird. Austin and I had dinner with my mom, had a confession night, kissed, went to a nightclub, found Brad there, Austin punched the redhead, we fought, we made up… It seemed like we would never be able to have a normal conversation, or a normal date for the matter.

I was looking at the clock on the lock screen of my phone. Lunch was almost over and I hadn’t bumped into Brad yet; but of course I wouldn’t, he was waiting for me at the bleachers hoping I would come by with information about Sarah.

I told him yesterday at the club, and I reaffirm it to myself now, I am not spying on Austin for him, not now, not in a million years. He better understood that.

As a precaution I kept my distance from the football field, I didn’t want to find him and be forced to have a conversation with him. It was better if he didn’t see me at all.

I looked back to make sure he wasn’t following me for some reason, and when I turned back around I bumped into someone.

“Are you hiding from me?” Chloe asked raising her eyebrows. I jumped startled. “Cause I been looking for you all day. Dinner with Austin couldn’t have possibly gone that bad right?”

I had a hand over my chest. “You almost gave me a heart attack” I breathed.

“I have I feeling you will be giving me one once you tell me what happened last night that has you all tensed and weird”

I had previously thought about my encounter with Chloe. I had slept last night thinking whether I should tell Chloe about Brad’s threats and explain everything at the club, or just don’t say anything at all. I decided to go with the first one; I needed to talk about it with someone or I might as well go crazy. She isn’t the best adviser, but she will know if telling Austin about it is a good idea or not.

“I actually need to talk to you about it” Before she could say anything I added “But not here. It’s a really long story. Do you think you can swing by my house tonight? Maybe even stay over for the night?”

“This sounds pretty serious”

“It is” I assured her.

“I’ll be there at seven” She said “You better buy some food before I get there”

She started walking away but I caught her arm. I needed something else.

“Wait” I said getting a grip of her arm and turning her back around “I need to talk to Jake about something…” I trailed off. If someone was good giving advices, that was Jake. “Do you know if he came to school today?”

“He never came back to school love”

“Since his return?” I asked.

“That was a week ago” She said as a-matter-of-fact “But yeah, I guess that means he isn’t staying that long after all” I could see the disappointment on her face.

“Are you sure?” I wasn’t going to let it be true “I haven’t seen him; I thought he was busy catching up with school. How did you know he isn’t coming to school?”

“Since he isn’t nice enough to respond any of my text messages or calls, I had to call her mom” She stared at me “What? Don’t look at me like that. I was running out of options here”

“Well, I need to find him”

I haven’t tried calling him, which is actually stupid because it’s the obvious thing to do.