Chapter 51

Chapter 51

Austin’s POV

“Do I look okay?” I asked Alex while checking myself in the mirror “Too casual right?”

He was watching me from behind, sitting on my bed.

“Looks okay to me” He said shrugging, a hint of doubt in his voice.

I took the gem of my shirt and pulled it out, taking it off. “I need something more formal. This thing is serious, I can’t just come up wearing some shitty shirt” I tossed the shirt back to the drawer.

“You’re going to do just fine” Alex assured me. He stood up and made his way towards me “You’ll kill it tonight”

“You make it sound like it’s the easiest thing to do” I looked through my drawers for a different shirt. “Her mom is going to crush me tonight” I rubbed my forehead “In pieces”

He let out a sly laugh. “You’ve got to be kidding me. You were all tough about it with Ashley this morning and now you chicken out”

“Oh yeah, going on a paranoiac state in front of her would’ve been such a good idea” I remembered the exact moment she told me about it this morning, and I had to twist my neck at the thought, stopping myself from shivering in front of Alex. “I had to make her think I was okay with it. She would’ve freaked out if I didn’t”

He laughed again.

A black shirt on the bottom of the drawer caught my eye.

“So you’re not that cool about it after all?”

“Cool?” I asked putting the black shirt on “I am freaking terrified of her”

“You mean her mother?” He asked cracking a smile.

“No, of Ashley. You dumbass, of course I meant her mother” I looked at myself in the mirror and instantly took the shirt off, tossing it aside “I can’t shake this feeling that she is instantly going to hate me as soon as she sees me”

“C’mon dude” Alex said patting my shoulder “You’ve come across so many cruel people with nothing even close to a flinch, and now you’re scared of Ashley’s mom?”

I cracked my fingers and licked my lips.

“I am not scared, just nervous” I answered trying to sound confident, something I wasn’t at the moment. “And frustrated” I added with a sigh “There isn’t a single thing I can freaking wear and look nice on”

“How about this?” He asked picking up one of the shirts from the floor.

 I took it from him; this one was a dark shade of blue, long sleeve shirt, with buttons to the neck. I put it on leaving the last button unbuttoned and rolling the sleeves up, above my elbows.

 I ran my fingers through my hair and looked back to the mirror. 

“Better” I answered in relieve “What do you think?”

“That’s the one” Alex answered giving me a reassuring smile “I kinda feel like a chick right now, giving you advice and shit. We should probably go out and do something manly now”

I broke off laughing.

“Rain check on that?” I asked putting on some casual shoes. I didn’t want to look too formal, it didn’t match me. I could handle a little bit of formality, just a little. “She said I had to be there by nine”

“You still have thirty minutes to kill” He pointed out.

“I need to pick up something before I get there” I took the lotion from the bottles next to my sink, and sprayed myself with it. I looked around to get Alex’s approval one last time “All good?”