Chapter 22

Chapter 22

 "Money" 

"No"

"An iphone case"

"No"

"A sweater?" 

Chloe and I were walking in the hallway heading to the library. 

She's been nagging me for the past few days asking me what kind of present would I like for my birthday. 

"Chloe" I said stopping her "I told you I don't want anything okay?" 

"Oh come on Ashley" She said letting her hands fall to her sides "What kind of friend doesn't give anything to her best friend on her birthday?" 

"You" I said starting to walk again. After a few seconds she followed me. 

"Okay you know what?" She said once we were inside the library "I will get you something, I'll just won't tell you what it is" 

I turned around to see her and crossed my arms. 

I seriously don't want her to spend her money on me. 

"Don't do it" I said for the last time. 

"I will" She insisted "And there's nothing you can do about it" 

Chloe turned around and walked to a shelf of books. I just came here with her because she asked me to. She said she was going to get a book for God knows what... Maybe I can get one myself. 

I walked to a different section of books. I am more into romance and fiction...  

"Looks boring" I said more to myself than to anyone. I was passing next to a shelf of books and reading the titles. "Already read that, bad cover, nope, lame... wait"

I finally found one that cought my attention. I already read it  though. Three times. *coughs awkwardly* 

"The Hunger Games huh?" 

The voice was right next to my right ear. I jumped startled. 

He laughed the way he always does. 

"Damn it Jake!" I hit his shoulder "I told you I hate when you do that!"

"That's the exact reason why I'm still doing it" He said grinning. "Didn't you read that book already?" He said pointng to the book in my hands. 

"I did. Three times to be more specific" I said with a smug look on my face. 

I will never -and I mean never- get tired of reading this book. Same goes to Harry Potter. 

"Okay I'll let you be your true nerdy-self" He said raising his hands in surrender and backing off a little. 

"Ha ha" I fake laughed "So funny" I sticked my tongue out at him and he did the same. "What are you doing here? As far as I know, you hate books and everything related to them" 

"You know why I am here" He slowly got to his knees and then sat on the floor, leaning on a shelf. 

"Nope. I don't" I saide popping the p.

"Who do I know that turns 17 tomorrow?" He said scratching the back of his head pretending he was in a deep thought "Shit. I can't remember" He was looking at nothing still 'thinking'. "Oh wait!" He stopped rubbing his head and turned to me, pretending he just remembered something really important "It's you!" 

I just chuckled. 

Jake is seriously the best friend I could ever ask for. I wouldn't change him for anything.