Queen of Hearts

The Destroyer

I am utterly terrified.

Everything about them is sharp and rigid. Almost like I could get cut by their smile if I looked at it long enough. The green color of their sweater is contradictory to the crimson splatters on the collar and cusps of their sleeves.

Or the bloody knife in their hand.

I could have safely said that I have ever looked into the eyes of death... but now I am not so sure. I take a step forward, their balance somewhat off. When confusion spreads over my face, distorting the utter fear that was plastered on it before, they laugh.

A haunting, fully shallow laugh.

But it's not just this horror that sees how distraught I am, Ink does as well. "Error? What is wrong?" He asks, fully facing me, trying without success to get my effort. Abandoning all subtly, I just point at the person in front of me.

I'm just overwhelmed. It feels like just looking away for a nanosecond, they will chop me down into nothing but ash and bones. I don't know why I am so assaulted with fear. But I know, oh I know for a fact that these are the same eyes that have been following me all this time.

"He won't be able to see me."

Their voice, again, radiates through the space of my mind. They almost sound young. Or at least too young to be covered in blood. Too young to really scare myself...but here I am.

"There's nothing there. Are you sure your not just going crazy?" Ink says, trying to compensate for being a brat ever since his mind got wiped...and his soul taken away. But there is a difference between knowing and accepting.

"No, I'm not, or at least I don't think I am," I start, still refusing to take my eyes off of the ghost that's been haunting me for days. "Then tell me what you're seeing." I guess after the literally plot twist that is our lives just happened, he is now believing me.

"It's a kid." I start off, trying to focus on the details, and not the fact that they could just run up and stab me. And we both know now that if we die in my memories, we die in real life. But why is the kid in my memo-

"Okay what else, why are you so shaken?" Ink pushes on, unaware of my internal monologue. "They have blood all over them, mainly around their hands." I take a breath in, "short brown hair, pale, green sweater." I pick off, waiting for the worst for last.

"It's their eyes."

Hollowed out with dark circles, so dark they're almost black. The charcoal frames the fire red pupils of their eyes. "What about them?" Ink asks, not knowing what to do about the situation. "They are red."

"Unnaturally so."

There's the laugh again.

"Haven't you heard it's rude to talk about someone when they are present?" They ask, in the utmost cocky of manner. They tilt their head to the slide, acting as if they are curious about this whole situation. But I couldn't come up with any words to fill the gaps in the room.

"Error, I know who it is." Ink says, grabbing my arm to get my full attention. Being pulled away from the figure, felt like I was reground into the whole situation. I lock eye contact with Ink as he continues to frantically tell me what he knows. "I don't know why only you can see them, that usually only happens if you were to have thei-"

Ink was immediately cut off and abruptly fell to the floor.