In the Distance

The Destroyer

I can't.

I sit Ink up, revealing more black substance etched in the snow. He leans on my side, head lolled down. I cautiously reach down with one hand and move the snow. The dark snow is camouflaged with my hand. When it starts to melt, it looks as if my black bones are dripping. A demented sight that creates a horror charged curiosity in me.

I wait just a few moments to attempt getting up. The reasons for urgency being, I don't know if this fire will get worse, Ink will get worse, or we aren't alone out here. I try to shift away from the black substance, but it surrounds us. Where did this even come from? I strain my stiff neck up. There aren't any trees above us to drop anything. The fire is to far away for this to have been ash. Unless Ink was trapped in the fire and ash had gotten on his face. Then when he fell, it got wiped off.

My patchwork of theories satisfies my hunt for answers. At least for now. Subconsciously I roll my shoulder that Ink isn't leaning on, as the result of mistaking injury for muscle tenseness. I bite back a scream. No need to call any attention to ourselves...or myself. The pain feels like a wave, building up, but never crashing. The pain caused by carelessness, is the main energy drainer for me.

I need to make sure when we get out of this AU, I don't pass out. Then both of us would be defenseless. Also I need to decide where we are going to go, and soon. The pain induced nausea makes it hard for me to think. It feels as if hours has passed when in reality it's only been a few minutes.

Wind starts to pick up, causing the oxygen enriched flames to grow. Waves of heat start to roll in quicker. A sense of unease stabs me in the soul. The silence of sound and the sharpness of the smoke creates alarm. I try to shift Ink's weight onto my side and contemplate standing up. But I don't know if I can. I mean, you don't know if you don't try. Right?

I tense my non existent muscles and get ready to propel ourselves off the ash covered snow. But before I could even attempt anything, I hear something over across the field. A shout, coming from the same direction from which I came in. "Okay, this isn't good." I whisper to myself. It's time to go now.

I rock forward onto my knees and hold Ink next to me with one arm. The other hanging limply at my sides. The shouts continue to grow in number, and in volume. More heat crashes down on us and another tree limb falls. Fear shakes me from the inside out, due to the smoking branch only being a few yards away from us.

What's going to happen when trees start falling down? I try to block out everything that's going on, but I come up unsuccessful. My mind amplifies the shouts to a staggering proportion. My senses being dramatically overrun with my anxiety powering them.

I push my self to my feet. A spark of happiness in my soul shines amidst the smoke. Now all I need to do is take a step forward, that can't be too hard. I grit my teeth and hope that it is possible. I hold onto Ink and try to drag him away from the shouts. And away from their line of sight. It may be easier for me to hide with my dark clothes. But it isn't easy for me to hide an unconscious body.

I pull at my energy, Ink and my strength quickly leaving my grasp. I shove the rest of my energy into forming a portal. And once I do, I black out for a moment. Almost dropping the both of us, I come back into reality. Injuries and pain assisting my every attempt at just moving forward. In the split second of deciding where to go, I finally stagger forward. Wether it be Fate or Destiny to decide where we go, I have no say or power over it now.

Where they go, nobody knows.
Determination grows as time slows.
Waiting in the flames, ready for a show.
Two in one, the shots will blow.
One with hope as white as snow,
The other with hatred darker than a crow.