Realize the Real Lies

The Creator

I try to keep a blank expression, not wanting any answers to come through. How does she know about the fire? And why didn't she do anything about it? The smell of phantom smoke bleeds through my memory and into my senses.

How am I supposed to respond to this?

Panic clutches at my soul, as her all knowing eyes look through her large framed glasses. Her look of smugness sends a shadowing chill down my spine. How come I feel like I'm being corned by not just physical means, but my knowledge. But it wasn't me who started the fire.

Or stole the souls.

And I don't know how she wants me to respond. My shaking hands take firm hold of the box of vials, my posture reflecting faked confidence. But it isn't just me that is quickly putting up a tough front, but my opponent.

"What Fire?" I ask, out of pure panic and stupidity. The look she gives makes me feel like I just lied about stealing a cookie, and the crumbs are all over me.

"But you were there correct?"

I mess with the paper wrapped around the package, my gaze quickly averted. "Yes, but I wasn't aware of my surroundings." I say, bricks being pulled out from the walls I had tried to put around myself.

"Because you didn't heed my warning?" She says, a shadow of a scold is a layer on her tone. My shakes response is all she needed to take hold of the conversation. "No, I didn't."

She crosses her arms, tapping her manicured nails on her bicep. "Ink, you know I only want to make sure that you are safe." She says, some sincerity leaking into her demeanor. I soften a little when her old personality shines through.

This is who Fate is.

She is kind, and wants life to reign supreme throughout the universe. And she gave me the role to protect it. Not...not to destroy it. Guilt sweeps my mind. I had helped Error, the Destroyer.

And she doesn't know.

She doesn't know about the code.

"I assume you have learned your lesson." Have I? I am still helping him whose motive is everything she is against. Everything that I'm against. "Don't use your magic until you've taken a vial." She says, with a calculated smile. Her hands held folded in front of her. Her appearance pristine and not a hair out of place.

I nod, uncertain with the direction which I am going. I back up slowly to the door, trying to match her perfect expression of fulfilling blissfulness.

I promise.

I promise.

I promise that once Error fixes the code, I will turn him in.

I will tell her about how he is stealing the souls of the determined. How he needs to understand what he is doing is not morally right. How everything he does goes against everything the universe needs to be.

But I won't forget to tell Fate how he saved me from the fire.

————————————————————————
Merry Christmas everyone!! I hope you had a great holiday and enjoyed this chapter✨💕🎄