Stuck in the Darkness

The Destroyer

I fall to the ground for what feels like the thousandth time today. But as soon as I hit the cold floor, the screams stop. And all I can hear is the deafening sound of silence. But even with my eyes closed, all I can see is red. That horrid color has always haunted me.

Red paint, red souls, red eyes. I breathe out a shuddering exhale. I force my head up after a moment of consideration. But I would be dead right now if they truly wanted to kill me. Through my lopsided glasses, I see another empty hallway.

Shaken by my experience, and afraid of my mind, I still refuse to go any further. I just, can't. I push my glasses up with a shaking finger, as if physically straightening myself will help calm my mind. And in a sense, it kind of does. I sit down in the dark hallway, naturally suspicious of the fact that Toriel hasn't come running down yet.

I don't want to expect her to come flying down the flight of stairs, with concern written on her face. Concern for what had happened, and if I was...okay. I shouldn't expect anything. Only because I know that the screams were inside my head. But...I don't know if the red eyes were too. Or if I'm just getting some sort of schizophrenia. Wouldn't that be spectacular?

Covering up my panic with poor sarcasm, I get up. It doesn't make sense for me to sit on the floor any longer, it's not like that will help me with anything. I have to keep moving. Maybe this whole thing had to do with the code? Maybe because I can see the code, I'm getting side effects from it's damage.

After my breathing slows, I take a deep breath, and move forward. But soon I notice that I'm starting to drag my steps, gradually going slower as I move farther away from the stairs. Why am I afraid of the dark now? I try to push through a senseless fear. I have faced worse than this. I have experienced worse situations than walking down a dark hallway.

I guess all of those bad experiences had happened in the darkness. But it was the monsters that were hidden in the darkness, not the pitch black itself. I try to reason with myself, hoping that the end of the hallway comes up sooner than later.

There isn't anything wrong with the absence of light, but I guess I'm too comfortable with the blinding white. I am used to being able to see everything. Through the code or through checking souls. But now, everything that I have been comfortable with has been taken away.

I keep my slightly shaking hands out in front of me, readied with strings laced on my fingers. I don't like not being able to see. I don't know if that's because of my impaired vision, or the fact that I can't see what's going on in my mind.

That's the kind of darkness that don't even know is there. It's the kind of evil that is unnoticed. Villains join in the secrecy, laughing at ignorance. Just like how I didn't even know that Gaster was out there, but he had seemed to control everything from the outside.

The worst things are always found in hidden darkness.