Fun with explosives

"I must admit, Captain, you're a worthy opponent" Zuko admitted with a sly grin as he extended a hand to his fallen sparring partner.

"Thank you, Your Majesty, it is truly the highest honour to be given the chance to spar with the most powerful Firelord in history" Captain Shen smiled as he took Zuko's hand and let the firebender help him up.

"Well, I don't know about being the most powerful Firelord, I think that title goes to Sozin" Zuko scratched the back of his neck as Sokka walked over with Ra draped over his crossed arms.

"No, Zuko, you made an explosion! You tried to explode the monster! I will not stand for you questioning your place as the most powerful Firelord" Sokka raved at his boyfriend, trying to make him see how powerful he was.

"Sokka is right, Your Majesty, there is no questioning your place as the most powerful Firelord" the Captain gave Zuko a warm smile and laid his hand on Sokka's shoulder. Whether Sokka looked proud of himself because he'd earned the kindly Captain's approval, or because he was dating a powerful bender, Zuko didn't know, but what he did know was he liked seeing his boyfriend being proud and confident.

"Have you done any more explosions Hotshot?" Sokka asked excitedly.

"Not yet, now seems like a perfect time to practice..." Zuko trailed off.

"Something wrong?" Sokka cocked his head to the side and shifted his grip on Ra slightly so that the dragon was draped across his arms more comfortably.

"I... I... I can't... remember how I did it" Zuko stuttered out in sheer embarrassment.

"From what I saw you shot a ball of fire full of lightning" Captain Shen noted.

Zuko held his chin with his left thumb and index finger as he tried to remember how he had made the explosion. Shoot a ball of fire full of lightning... seems simple enough.

The Firelord informed Sokka and the Captain they would need to stand back. The two men did as they were told, Sokka still hanging on to Ra so he didn't try to rush towards Zuko and get himself in the way of the explosions.

Zuko summoned a sphere of fire in his right hand and pushed it forward so it was suspended in the air in front of him.

This was going to be a test, a very small explosion. Zuko didn't want to risk hurting himself or others while he was still very inexperienced with the technique.

In his left hand Zuko summoned a small bolt of lightning. He willed the fire sphere to stay floating in the air as he dropped his right hand and took a step back. He took a deep breath and raised his left hand so the lightning was pointing straight at the fiery ball.

He closed his eyes.

"Azi?" Ty Lee called out the nickname for the princess as she entered her room. She found Azula sat at the window, looking out at the palace.

"Zuzu hasn't been to visit me for days" she spoke mournfully. 

"Your mother told you he would be away for a while" Mai tried to comfort the princess, though sorely doubted her words would hold any solace for the distressed princess.

"She didn't tell me he would be gone this long" Azula was aware she sounded like a petulant child but she didn't care, she was feeling abandoned and forgotten all over again. 

"He's in Ba Sing Se Azi, he had an important meeting with the Earth King about colony prisoners" Ty Lee explained Zuko's errand to the best of her abilities. She placed a hand on Azula's shoulder in an attempt to comfort and calm her.