Game of cabbages round 3

Sokka made sure Ra and Momo were safe on the viewing seats and weren't going to get hit with any stray cabbages. He re-joined team metal stick and sat down next to Zuko, who then began to explain his plan.

"Are you sure you're going to be okay? You look like you're about to either throw up, pass out or both" Suki asked Zuko when he finished explaining his plan.

"I'll be okay, I've got enough energy for one final push against them! I look weak enough that they're going to get cocky and make mistakes, when they make mistakes, we're right there to get a hit on them" Zuko assured the group.

"Okay Hotshot! Let's get to it and beat team cabbage!" Sokka jumped up to his feet, grabbing his bat.

Toph, Suki and Sokka all ran excitedly to their places, staring down Aang and Katara. Zuko used his metal pole as a crutch, leaning on it and walking to join the others. When he reached them, he got into a shoddy stance ready to bat the cabbages away.

Sokka really didn't believe that Zuko was in any condition to participate and decided he was going to protect Zuko as best he could while they moved towards Katara and Aang.

"Ready" Zuko gritted his teeth as he started the match.

"Set"

"GO!"

As soon as Zuko yelled 'go' his teammates sprang forward in front of him, shielding him from the cabbages that were raining down on them. The group moved forward as one. The firebender could see the sun coming up, it was just above the horizon now and that was enough to make Zuko feel like he was almost back to full strength.

Katara watched in horror as the moon started to sink back down below the horizon. Oh well, no matter, she was in the south pole, her home! That should be just as good as the full moon. She fired the cabbages at her friends as fast as she could. As Katara's desperation to win increased, her thoughts of composure and technique decreased.

Zuko could tell that Katara's defences were slipping, her technique was getting worse and she was consumed by her desperation to win the game. Sometimes Zuko wondered if the group's games were bad for their friendship, or if they were going to put him in an early grave from the overwhelming stress and pressure to beat Toph and Katara.

Zuko began to prepare his attack. He started by placing his bat in the space between his back and his belt. He came to the next step in his plan. Just as he was about to pull a fire dome up around him, he saw a bunch of cabbages headed for his boyfriend's face. He extended the fire dome so it encased Sokka too.

"Zuko why the fuck am I inside a fireball?"

"To stop you getting hit in the face with various cabbage projectiles"

"Seems legit"

"Stand back Boomerang"

Zuko stood with his feet shoulder width apart, eyes closed and his hands by his side. He smiled widely as he felt the exhilarating, crackling energy in his fingertips and when he opened his eyes two long lightning staffs were held in his hands. He wondered if lightning bending would ever stop feeling so exhilarating and exciting.

Inside the fireball it was very dim, like all the light the fire produced was on the outside. Sokka took a step back and stood close to the fire as he watched Zuko produce two long lightning batons. Either being inside a fiery cocoon tended to make one very warm, or Zuko looked extremely handsome and regal with the lightning lighting up his features in the dim fireball. Sokka decided he needed to stop admiring his boyfriend and get ready to face the cabbage onslaught when he and Zuko broke out of the fire dome.

Katara was so immersed in hurling cabbages at Toph and Suki that she didn't notice Zuko and Sokka disappearing. Aang was backing up slightly and he stood by Katara's side as they tried to push their friends back to the line.