23

2ish-year time skip

Dazais pov

In one and a half years I got my hair cut twice. In that one and a half years, I got just 5 detentions in total. And in one and a half years I received zero text messages from Chuuya Nakahara.

My uncle was nearly the exact opposite of my father. He was calm and kind and offered help when I felt lost. I played starting varsity soccer at my new school. I finished my junior year with minimum problems.

My summer going into my senior year I went back to visit my friends. That summer Chuuya was away, visiting France.

Leaving my friends again when school started up again was hard. They all got to spend their senior year together, while I was a three-hour plane ride away. They all assured me that Chuuya didn't hate me. I never believed them.

Akutagawa told me that whenever anyone would bring up my name, he would slip away from the conversation an angry yet sad look on his face.

He removed himself from group chats we were in together, and never answered my texts. After a few months of pathetic messages with no reply, I just stopped bothering him.

Senior year was boring. I didn't go to prom or many senior events. It never felt quite right. I felt like I wasn't where I was supposed to be.

And I wasn't.

But my grades got better as I became more focused. I got offered academic and athletic scholarships for colleges in and out of the area. None of them interested me too much. I decided I wanted to go to school to be a lawyer. Fukazawa said I was good at arguing. I decided to go to a small campus about 1 hour away from my old town.

After highschool graduation, I decided to visit my friends again and spend the summer with them.

Akutagawa picked me up from the airport. I made him carry my bags to his car.

Upon arriving at the car, I was ambushed by a crazy boy with white hair.

I wasn't surprised though. Atsushi hated missing out on things.

I felt like he was going to kill me through suffocation before Akutagawa slapped him upside the head.

"God Dazai I haven't seen you in forever! It's been like a year...how have you been? Did you know Akutagawa shaved his eyebrows off for a dare! Wait I think we already told you that-"

His seemingly endless ramble as cut short by Akutagawa dragging him away to put my bags in the trunk of his car.

I couldn't help but smile at the two of them. They got along so horribly, but it was always endlessly entertaining to watch.

Atsushi yelled "Shotgun!" while running up and slamming my body into the side of the car. He laughed before jumping into the car before I could recover from what he just did to me.

If it hadn't been my first time seeing him in a year, I probably would have dragged him out of the car by his feet and taken the front seat for myself. However, I was feeling especially generous today.

I shot a look of disapproval towards Akutagawa before going to open the backseat doors.

A mop of two-toned hair greeted me when I opened the door. I could feel my eyes triple in size at the sight of the smaller boy. He smiled a big toothy grin at me before sliding over to the window seat, to make room for me.

I looked over at Akutagwa who was slapping Atsushis hands away from the radio.

I coughed trying to get their attention. Akutagawa looked back at me slightly annoyed.

"What?" was all he said his eyes scanning between me and the boy.

I nodded towards him "Whats Q doing here?" I asked, my voice sounding more nervous than confused.

Akutagawa looked at Atsushi before they both broke down into a fit of laughter. I could only sit there awkwardly while they recovered from whatever they thought was so funny.

Atsushi spoke first a smile placed on his lips. "He's not here if that's what you're so worried about." he giggled out, heavy emphasis on the word he. He meaning Q's brother.

"So why is Q in your... possession?" I asked feeling the tension in my body release.

"Atsushis babysitting. We're dropping him off on our way. Is that ok?" Akutagawa said dryly while starting the car. I could tell he didn't actually care if I thought it was ok.

I looked to Q smiling. I had almost forgotten about the small boy, who never failed to keep me entertained.

"Hi. I'm Dazai. I don't know if you remember me." I said directed at the smiling boy.

He whipped his head toward me. "Oh yeah, of course, I remember you! We were best friends!" he stated very matter of factly.

I smiled at the statement, happy he remembered our old conversations.

"Also Chuua talks about you a lot! Sometimes he cries." he hummed.

I could hear Atsushi snicker from the front seat.

I brushed off the comment, feeling my stomach sink. I tried not to think too much about what seeing Chuuya again would be like, it just stressed me out.

Q scooted closer smiling up at me. "It's okay though! We can go see Chuu after this drive! And we can all hang out again like we used to! Kay?"

I could feel my heart stop when he said that. I quickly flashed him a smile before looking away and kicking my feet up onto the seat in a childish manner.

Q nudged my side, looking up at me with big eyes holding out his pinky. "Do you promise?"

I swallowed thickly unable to say no to him and hooking my pinky to his.

AN: hellooo i just wanted to say a few things about the BLM movement and the protests!!! pls know i love you all very much and hope you stay safe if you are going to these protests. cops r mean >:( pls spead information and awareness about everything!! please if you havent already sign petitions and donate!!! there are so many different things you can do to help right now. it wont let me include the link im trying to put in on here but i will put it in the comments! if you have any others please share them there too!!! ily guys!