05

Chuuyas pov

Dazai didn't show up to homeroom the next day. Or the day after that. It seemed like people were waiting for him to walk through the door but he never did. I don't know why people seemed so concerned over it. People are absent all the time I thought. Why are people getting so worked up over it?

"Fuck. Someone should go to his house during break and check if he's there." The words caught my attention. I saw Kunikida with his hands on Auktagawas desk as he twiddled his thumbs.

"Just try calling him again man. I don't wanna go to his house. His dad's a really intimidating man." a ginger that I hadn't seen the previous day said.

"Really? I met his dad and he seems nice. I would check on him but I'm getting dismissed for my grandmas wake in like 30 minutes." I watched as Auktagawa grimaced when Atsushi chimed in.

Kunidkida and Auktagawa shared a look of worry. What the actual fuck was the huge deal? Im not a nosy person typically but assuming they were talking about dazai I really wanted to know why they were so freaked out.

"What's all the noise about?" the easiest thing to insert myself into their conversation was to act like I wasn't interested.

"Oh uh nothing just-"

"Dazai isn't here" Auktagawa interrupted.

"Okay. And?" Akutagawa motioned me over to him. Huffing I picked myself up and plopped down in the seat next to the group. "What?"

"Dazai doesnt really miss school often" he paused.

"So he's probably sick?" I questioned.

"Maybe but we can't be sure. Usually if hes absent he comes in the next day roughed up talking about a fight. Usually says a 'gang' did it." Akutagawa claimed using air quotes on the words gang. "He's missed two days now and hasn't contacted anyone yet."

I narrowed my eyes. How could he possibly be in gang fights. He looked winded by my half-hearted punches the prior day. Thinking of him toughing it out in a gang fight seemed laughable almost.

"So what are you gonna do about it?" Akutagawa shrugged while Kunikida explained.

"Well we haven't really ever checked on him before. He's not exactly new to our friend group but its only happened a few times. Aku here has been his friend for awhile and said we should probably see if hes at his house. Problem is that none of us can really get out of school right now. We think maybe Ranpo could but theres a fat chance of him agreeing to that. Akutagawa said he can take about 10 minutes out but that would only be able to get him to Dazais house. "

I blinked. They really were this worried about him? They seemed like such nice people so why were they friends with someone trashy like Dazai. And why were they so concerned for him? I have no idea why but even I was surprised by the words that came out of my mouth.

"I suppose I could check in on him. I have my senior help period next. But only as a favor to you guys for giving me food yesterday. And I don't wanna have to talk to him."

It was silent for a few seconds. Like people were processing why I of all people would offer. I did just beat him up a few days ago. Atsushi broke the silence with puppy dog eyes.

"You would really do that for us?". I was taken aback.

"uh yea sure." I chuckled awkwardly. "I dont have a car though. Is his house within walking distance?"

"Not really but I can drive you down. You would have to walk home cause I can only spare a few minutes." Akutagawa said.

"Okay.. When should we leave?"

The bell rang.

"Now."