Chapter 35 - Disconnected Hearts

Chapter 35

(Hiro’s POV)

                I woke up a few minutes before my alarm clock rang. My arms were draped over my pillow, but my eyes were still closed. For a moment, I though the whole day was just a nightmare and I’d open my eyes and I’d see Akira asleep in my arms at Fred’s house. To my dismay, the thing I had my arms wrapped around was just my pillow. And it was early Monday morning just before my alarm was supposed to ring.

                “Good morning. It is Monday, December the 18that 6:30 AM. Currently, it is 52 degrees Fahrenheit. The low for the day will be 47 and the high will be 57. It is slightly foggy and there is a 4% chance of rain for the day,” my alarm clock spoke in a robotic voice. I groaned and dragged myself out of bed. I threw on a pair of jeans, a grey t-shirt, and my SFIT hoodie. When I realized that the hoodie had Akira’s scent on it, I immediately took it off and threw it onto the floor. I fell to my knees and whimpered.

                “What did I do wrong?” I whispered aloud to myself. I shakily stood up, put on a different jacket, and was about to walk down the stairs when I burst into tears at my door again. The familiar sounds of Baymax activating filled the room.

                “Hello, Hiro,” Baymax greeted. I frowned at him.

                “I didn’t say ow, Baymax. Why are you on?”

                “You cried. Crying is another sound of distress,” he explained.

                “Then why didn’t you activate yesterday?”

                “You needed time to get your anger and emotions out. I could only help once you’ve opened up more,” he answered. I sighed.

                “Well, there’s nothing you can do about this one, bud,” I voiced.

                “Scan complete. You are experiencing depression and anxiety due to the fight you had yesterday with Akira,” Baymax diagnosed.

                “Yeah. Don’t remind me,” I muttered.

                “Perhaps you should talk to her? I sense her presence next door,” Baymax suggested. I frowned at him.

                “Why? So she can tell me what a loser I am and how great Henry is?” I sighed.

                “Are you sure that is the reason?” Baymax asked. I nodded.

                “I’ve got to go. I’m satisfied with my care,” I growled. Baymax deactivated and I walked downstairs with my backpack. I don’t know why I was even going to school. I didn’t want to talk to Akira, but against my better judgment, something in me wanted to see her pretty face and see her smile. I knew it would hurt me more, but I still wanted to see her. When I made it downstairs, Aunt Cass offered me pancakes, which I immediately rejected and walked down to the café and out the front door. I walked to school slowly and bumped into a lot of people because I wasn’t thinking properly anymore.

                When I finally realized that I made it to main hallway of SFIT, I was heartbroken to see Henry walking Akira to mathematics. I clenched my fists and walked inside behind them. Henry gave her a hug before leaving to go to whatever his first class was. She sat down and stared blankly at her laptop screen. I sat down at the opposite end of the room and sighed angrily at myself. The professor stood up and began giving us notes, but I couldn’t focus and ended up just staring at the wall until class was over.

                I sulked several feet behind Akira to chemistry. She walked to Honey and exchanged a few words with her. I sat down at my usual seat and watched as Honey hugged Akira solemnly, said a few words to her chemistry partner and then as Honey’s partner sat in Akira’s seat and Akira took the seat next to Honey. Then, the same thing happened in chemistry where I couldn’t focus and didn’t take any notes or do any of the practice labs.

                 Honey and Akira left together and Honey dropped Akira off at robotics, where we had to work together on the security bot project. We both silently sat next to each other and sat still while the other groups worked on their projects. Akira sighed and pulled out the bot pieces and placed them between us.

                “I’m not failing this assignment because of what happened. Let’s just get this over with,” she muttered. I slowly reached over and began helping her with assembling the interior structure of the prototype. We both tried our best not to look at each other. When class dismissed for lunch, we both stood up and left at separate times. She left first. When I made it to lunch, I noticed she was standing at our table and talking to the group. Honey said something and gave her a quick hug before Akira walked off to sit with Henry. I walked to the team and sat down. They were all silent and picking at their lunches for a while before Gogo spoke up.

                “What the hell happened? She just walked over here and told us that the two of you broke up yesterday and that she can’t sit with us at lunch anymore because she doesn’t want to be next to you,” Gogo blurted out. I bit my lip and looked down.

                “I’m not good enough for her, that’s all,” I muttered.

                “Hiro. That’s not true. She loved you so much. Tell us what really happened,” Honey argued.

                “She never loved me! She’s dating Henry, not me! Okay?!” I snapped. Tears threatened to spill from my eyes again.

                “Something about that doesn’t seem right,” Fred commented.

                “Well it is. He’s better for her anyway,” I growled.

                “Little man, that guy is 4 years older than her, doesn’t like robotics, isn’t funny, barely knows her, etcetera. We’re telling you she doesn’t like him that way,” Wasabi pointed out. I frowned.

                “Then look at them now,” I demanded and pointed towards them. Henry had his arm around her shoulder and they were talking. “See?” Honey sighed.

                “Well, I promised I’d go sit with her during lunch, so I guess I’d better run. I’ll meet you guys outside the school after fourth block,” Honey called as she walked off towards Akira. I glanced over to them to see Honey sit down on the other side of Akira and join the conversation.

                “Hiro, you should really talk to her,” Wasabi urged. I shook my head, stood up, and left the cafeteria to go to my final class of the day early. I’d rather sit in the hallway alone than be in the cafeteria where I could get heartbroken further. I sat silently until class began and then as before, stared at the wall for the entire class.