Chapter 29 - Arcane

Chapter 29

(Akira’s POV)

                As we entered the café, a woman at the counter ran over to us with pastries. She was a short adult woman with shoulder length messy light brown hair and green eyes.

                “Akira! Oh, you look so cute in your new glasses! I’m so glad you can see!” She trilled as she handed Honey the pastries. I recognized the voice as Cass’. “Gotta get back to work!” She called as she sped back to the counter. Hiro gingerly pulled my hand and led me upstairs with the rest of the group.

                Fred flung himself over the couch backing and landed on the couch. Gogo hopped up onto the backing and balanced herself there quietly. Wasabi pulled up a chair from the kitchen table and sat next to the couch. Honey took the floor and Hiro and I took the seats next to Fred.

                “So what’s the plan before us older teens have to go home to study?” Wasabi asked to Hiro.

                “TEACH HER HOW TO PLAY ARCANE!” Fred shouted. Everyone cringed at his loud voice.

                “What’s Arcane?” I asked.

                “It’s an MMORPG. You create a level 1 character with a fantasy race and class and then you complete quests to earn treasure and level up as you explore,” Hiro explained. “It’s up to you. We all have characters and accounts.” I nodded.

                “Sounds fun,” I answered. All 6 of us pulled our laptops out of our bags. Hiro took my laptop and pulled up Arcane’s website and hit download.

                “Set up your account and we’ll all create new characters at level 1,” Wasabi added. I began setup and created my first character: an elfin warlock named Xena. Gogo created a troll scout named Yekine. Wasabi created a minotaur paladin named Kuonu. Fred, a basilisk tank named Stiz. Honey created a harpie rogue named Angel, and Hiro created a human mage named Zyliath. We all began the game and teamed up to do quests. Before long, we were all level11 and it was time for Gogo, Wasabi, Fred, and Honey to head home. The rest of the group waved and left while Hiro and I sat and continued playing. He wrapped his arms gingerly around me. Somehow, while we were leveling up towards the beginning, Hiro had convinced me to sit in his lap while we played. So now I was comfortably seated with my back against his chest and his chin resting on my shoulder. Cass came up the stairs and walked up to us.

                “Akira, would you like to stay for dinner?” She asked.

                “If you don’t mind, I’d love to,” I answered. Hiro grinned and the moment Cass turned around to go cook, he kissed my neck softly, causing me to shiver. I giggled and leaned back into his arms as we continued to play. Before long, Cass made us log out and called us over to the table to eat the Philly cheese steaks she had prepared. The three of us laughed and joked around and talked while we finished dinner, and then Hiro stood up.

                “I’ll be right back,” he promised as he walked upstairs to the bathroom. The second he was out of earshot Cass leaned over to me from across the table.

                “I have two favors to ask of you, Akira,” she whispered.

                “What favors, Cass?” I responded with a confused look.

                “Hiro’s birthday is coming up very soon, and so is Christmas, both of which he and Tadashi would spend practically attached to the hip. I’m worried that without support, he’ll end up depressed again. I’ve talked with everyone else, and we want to set up a surprise for Hiro. Well, we’ll warn him before hand, but I wanted all of you to know before we tell him. His birthday is the Saturday after next, and I was going to have all 6 of you go to Fred’s house from Friday to Sunday and have a big sleepover party for him there. I would usually have him celebrate at our house, but it’s small and I don’t want him to have to be reminded of Tadashi. Do you think you could come to that?”

                “Of course,” I whispered back.

                “For Christmas, I was thinking you could spend Christmas Eve here with us if that’s okay with Lyn. The group can come over Christmas morning too,” Cass explained. I nodded.

                “Lyn will be fine with both of those. Thank you,” I acknowledged. She smiled and sat back normally when Hiro came back down the stairs.

                We finished dinner and Hiro walked me back to my home. We talked shortly and exchanged sweet messages with sign language before we went to sleep.

(A/N: Almost 700 views! :D Thank you so much for your support everyone! I’ll break the next 3 or 4 chapters up into the sleepover/birthday, and then drama will begin again… *cough* Henry *cough* Lol. Anyway, I appreciate all the support. Don’t forget to comment and vote!)