Chapter 17 - Mistakes and Power Cells

Chapter 17

(Hiro’s POV)

                “S-sorry, Hiro,” Akira muttered as she adjusted her glasses. I rubbed the back of my head awkwardly.

                “Ah, it’s okay,” I answered as calmly as I could. On the inside, I was thrilled. Did you see how close I was to her?! I could feel her breathe I was so close!!! “Did you want to work on our robotics project so we’re ahead of the class tomorrow?”

                “Yeah. That way we can relax a bit in class. It’s due in a month, right?” She asked while standing up and adjusting her tank top and shorts.

                “One month and 2 days,” I answered. I stood up and tapped her hand softly with my fingertips to show her that I was offering my hand. She took it and I guided her around the mess of gears and wires to my desk. She sat on the stool next to the monitor and I joined her on my desk chair.  “Before we get started, I had a question that I keep forgetting to ask.” She nodded. “How did you get into the academy? I had to go to the fair and do a presentation on my micro-bots.”

                “Oh, I had to present at the fair too,” she commented. My jaw dropped slightly. How’d I miss her there? I walked by every booth! “I asked to present an hour before the fair opened so I wouldn’t have to deal with crowds.” That explains it. “Do you want to see the invention I used? I was thinking we could include them in our school project. I carry a pack of them with me.”

                “Sure. I’d love to. What do you mean by carry a pack?” She reached into her backpack on the floor and pulled out a little glass jar. She handed it to me. I studied the contents.

                “They uh… They look like a bunch of lithium batteries,” I said, trying to sound impressed, but failing to do so. She laughed. I handed the jar of the little button sized battery things back to her.

                “Oh, they’re much more than that, Hiro,” she teased. She opened the little jar’s lid and shook one of the tiny things out onto her hand. “This one little battery could power Baymax for over a month.” My jaw dropped.

                “You’re kidding! You designed a freaking coin sized power unit?!” I exclaimed.

                “Yup. I use these little guys to power my hover board,” she explained as she dropped the one she removed back into the jar and sealed the lid. “And the cover on the batteries keeps their power from draining out for many years. So it’s safe and powerful.” She dropped the jar back into her bag and sat back up.

                “Are you sure you want to use one on our project? I don’t want you to use them up. I can imagine they’re hard to make.”

                “We can use one. They’re hard to make, but it’ll open up our options for the project. One more thing though. Honey was telling me at lunch that you made a mistake that you’ll want to know about.” I crossed my arms and frowned.

                “Oh, really? What did she say?” I asked, un-amused by Honey’s assumptions that I could make a mistake.

                “She wouldn’t tell me exactly. But she said to input my address into Google maps.” I clicked my browser and went to Google maps and asked Akira for her address. I had walked to her house twice before, but hadn’t used a map or directions to find it.

                “203 Sakura Road,” she answered. I typed it in and hit go. Before the map even finished loading, I discovered my mistake.

                “Sakura Road?” I repeated.

                “Yes. 203 Sakura Road,” she repeated. I face palmed.

                “UGH! I’m such an idiot!” I shouted. Akira frowned.

                “Hiro, you’re not an idiot. You’re a genius. What’s wrong?”

                “To get from your house to mine yesterday, I was too distracted to realize which roads I was taking back home. Last week when I took you home from the school and then went to my house, it was the same problem. I was so distracted; I didn’t realize which roads I was using.”

                “Okay…?” Akira didn’t realize where I was going with this. I pulled the monitor up to her so she could see the map.

(A/N: I added the map into the right media section, so you, the reader would understand the layout more. The red is their houses. The H is obviously Hiro’s house and Akira’s is the A. Hiro doesn’t know about Akira’s hideout yet, but the purple building across the street from the Lucky Cat Café is where the old warehouse is and the little green square behind it is her underground bunker. )