Chapter 56 - Ally

Chapter 56

(Hiro's POV)

(•-•) (•-•) (•-•) TIME SKIP: 5 months (•-•) (•-•) (•-•)

                Baymax and I sat in the garage thinking over the events in the past five months while waiting for the other three to arrive to gear up. Yama had been arrested and locked safely away in a high security jail with the other villains and we had faced Evan's robots numerous times, but were never able to get to him. School started after summer break 2 months ago, and while I had managed to attend, I was now accustomed to wearing a black t-shirt instead of my usual red one. The weight of Tadashi, Honey, and Akira's deaths still held me down. Occasionally, I had nightmares about them dying again. Life sucked, but I pressed on despite that because I knew that the one's I lost would be upset to see me sad.

                "Hello, Gogo, Wasabi, and Fred," Baymax greeted as they joined me in the garage.

                "Let's get suited up, boys," Gogo ordered. After only a few minutes, we were out on the streets in our suits heading to the location that Baymax and I had located. We had spotted Evan's robots in a warehouse yesterday, and I wanted to lead the team in to figure out what was going on.

                We hid behind some of the crates outside of the large building. Several robots were loading the warehouse with more crates.

                "I bet that's some sort of thing he's using in whatever his plan is!" Fred shouted in a whisper. Gogo rolled her eyes at him.

                "No duh, Fred," she mumbled.

                "Will you people be quiet? We'll get caught!" Wasabi hissed at them. The two immediately shut up.

                "When I say go, quickly sneak past them into the warehouse, and to the right behind those crates," I said while pointing to the crates I was referring to. I waiting until the robots had their backs turned and then gave the order. We swiftly snuck by them and ducked behind the stack of boxes.

                "What next?" Wasabi asked, looking to me for leadership. I pointed forwards into the growing mass of boxes.

                "We take a closer look," I explained. I led them carefully through the maze of crates to the back of the room, and then stealthily snuck through the door into the next room.

                "Whoa...," Fred gasped. "This looks like a control room or something." The room was large and mostly empty, like the first room by the loading dock but without the clutter of the crates. In one corner was a large computer set up: three large screens, a keyboard, an extra control system with buttons and switches, and a desk chair. The tall room was bland except for the computer system and the dirty windows letting in faded light from the tops of the walls. I approached the computer, but was interrupted by the doors on either side of the room slamming open to reveal robots pouring into the control room. We were surrounded.

                "Intruders," the robots hissed monotonously.

                "These robots appear to be upset," Baymax told me.

                "Yeah, buddy," I answered. The five of us got into our fighting stances and began trying to kick robot butt. We were able to defeat the first 3 waves of bots, but the 4th caused some struggle. Before we had finished the 4th wave, the 5th came charging in. We were overwhelmed and running out of energy, but I was sure we could make it if we pressed on.

                "I don't like this, little dude! We need to find a way to escape!" Wasabi yelled.

                "KInda busy here if you haven't noticed!" I yelled back. In my slight distraction, I got knocked back to the floor. I pulled myself back to my feet in time to see one of the upper windows smashed open and a figure in black leap through it. The person landed gracefully on his feet and looked coldly at the bots, who dropped their attention from us momentarily to face the new intruder. The figure remained still for one moment, allowing me to see them more clearly.

                Originally, I had expected the figure was that of a man's, however, I was wrong. The intruder was a lean female, slightly shorter than me. She wore black goggles that had heavily tinted, red lenses that I couldn't see through. A piece of black fabric, similar to that of a bandana, covered her mouth and nose. She wore a black material that had a slight shine to it as gloves and a long sleeve shirt, which had small shoulder and elbow armor pieces attached. Her pants were simple black cargo pants with knee pads attached. A belt with a large side pouch and something akin to the size and shape of bullets sat on her waist. Her boots were simple black ones with 1 inch tall soles that had small white LED lights on them. She wore her dyed green hair very short and spiked to the left.

                One of the robots lunged towards her, and she connected to its neck with a roundhouse kick. It fell to the ground in a fit of sparks.

                "Who's next?" She asked in a mix of voices, obviously electronically made to cover her own voice up.

                The robots came running at her, and she began mowing them down with kicks and punches, causing them each to hit the ground after one hit. We all stood in shock, amazed she was taking them out so easily.

                "Are you going to just stand there?" She hissed at us. I looked to my team and nodded to give them the go ahead to join this new person. After a short about of time, we were left with a pile of robots and robot parts littering the floor. The moment the last bot hit the floor, she turned to face the exit.

                "What's your name?" Fred asked her. She turned to look at him, seemingly surprised that he asked, but it was hard to tell because I couldn't see her eyes or her mouth.

                "Just because we're on the same side does not mean I can give you my name," she replied dryly in the mix of layered voices.

                "I meant your hero name. You've gotta have one," Fred explained. She stood still and quiet as if thinking for a minute before speaking.

                "Afterburn," she whispered. "Yeah. I like the sound of that."

                "Why did you help us?" I interrogated.

                "The man behind this is doing wrong to this city. Why wouldn't I help?" She replied. I wasn't satisfied with the answer.

                "But why? Why not do what everyone else does and let us handle it?" I asked.

                "Because I want to," she coldly responded. "Farewell for now. I suspect I will be seeing you again in short time." We silently observed as she exited the building without saying another word.

A/N: I'm aiming to finish this entire story up by chapter 60... Let's see if I can do that.