Chapter 9 - Riding Blind

Chapter 9

(Akira’s POV)

“I’m so useless…” I muttered in the hiding place I had found behind an old warehouse near the Lucky Cat Café. I had upgraded it with metals that even Baymax couldn’t scan through. My secret hole was meant for extreme measures. Having heard about all the villains in San Fransokyo recently, I had upgraded it just in case a robot like Baymax was created with a scanning capability, but for evil. It was small, but could fit a few people. And I liked cozy places, so it was fine. I sighed. Why am I using this to hide from my friends…? They aren’t evil…

                I stood up and climbed up the ladder, unlocked the hatch, and climbed out. By this point, it had stopped raining. I made sure my backpack was securely on my shoulder and started walking back towards the Lucky Cat Café.

                “You are being called by Baymax,” My cell phone called out from my pocket. I picked it up.

                “Sorry, Baymax, I’m heading back to the café now,” I answered.

                “Please come to Hikaru’s Fresh Market. Hiro is in great danger. The rest of the group is unable to answer their phones. You must hurry. It is very urgent.” A robotic voice said over the phone.  Baymax then hung up on me. I gritted my teeth. Great job, Hiro. Get in trouble and need the blind girl to come to your rescue. I flung my new and improved hover board under my feet and turned to the direction I remembered the Market being in.

                “If there are any pedestrians on the sidewalk, they’d better be smart enough to move out of the way” I said to myself. I took a final deep breath and sped off as fast as I could go. I relied on memory alone to get to my destination. Hiro and I had been down this road a thousand times. Straight for 3 seconds at top speed. Now a sharp right for several yards. Left. Straight. Right. Straight. The market should be right up ahead if I calculated right… I bit my lip, closed my eyes tightly and swerved into what I hoped would be a doorway. If it wasn’t, Hiro would be gone by now and I’d be going up a wall. Please be it. Please!

“Akira!!” A familiar male voice called. It was Hiro. I felt the air movement as I sped between what I assumed to be Baymax and Hiro. My board hit a wall and I rode across it horizontally at my high speed.