Chapter 3 - Guided Ride

Chapter 3

(Hiro’s POV)

“You’re just in time actually.” I watched as she reached into a box by her desk and pulled out a pale blue skateboard-esque object and then placed the little clear box inside, She then screwed the lid down and held the object up. “You’re about to see the world’s first hover board.”

I gasped. “You’re kidding! No way!” She grinned and nodded.

“I’ve been developing it for several months now, and I think I finally got it right this time.”

“What did you use? What metals? How does it hover? How do you move it?”  She laughed.

“Dude, calm down. I used a blend of lightweight metals, no one specific metal. I calibrated it to push off of small electromagnetic waves. Everything produces them, they’re just very low. It’s calibrated to move based on the small movements the rider makes.” Akira pulled out two shoe soles. “These babies go onto your shoes and they determine who the rider of my board is.” She reached over and turned off her radio. “Hmm…” She placed her finger to her lip and tapped it. “How much do you weigh?”

“120. Why?”

“I’m blind. I can’t test my own hover board or I’ll crash. At least, I’ll crash without a guide.” I grinned.

“Are you going where I think you’re going with this?”

“You’re within weight limit to ride with me, so yes. Although, it depends on whether I can trust you with my life and my hover board.” She stood up and laughed. “Actually, all you have to do is not want to get yourself killed or hurt and you won’t steer us wrong. You seem like a cool guy. And one of the first to get along with me. I’ll let you ride if you promise to guide me on what direction to go.”

“Of course I want to go. You can trust me and I’ll do what I can to guide.”

“Done then.” She held out her hand to fist bump. I returned it. Baymax, Akira, and I walked outside to the front steps with our helmets. Her movement down the steps was cautious. She felt each step with her foot before stepping down.

“Don’t you have a cane?” I mentioned. She shook her head.

“I want to prove that I can do just as much as everyone else. I have never and will never use a cane.” She placed her board of the sidewalk and hit a switch. It immediately floated up a foot off the ground. “It’s hovering, right?”

“Yes.” I grinned with excitement. Akira stuck the soles onto her shoes and jumped up boldly onto the hoverboard.

“You ready, Hiro?” We both placed our helmets on.

“Heck yes. Baymax, stay right here on the steps. I’ll be back in a few minutes.” I hopped up behind her and put my hand on her shoulders for balance.

“I will remain on the steps until you have returned.” Baymax replied.

“Alright, hold on tight because your feet aren’t hooked on like mine are. Give me detailed instructions on where to go. Keep it simple first just in case my board has a meltdown or something. We’ll see how it handles and then I’ll upgrade it later this week. Don’t go more than a few blocks off, stay off the main streets, etcetera.”

I nodded then realized Akira couldn’t see my nodding. “Got it. Turn a few degrees to the right and then go straight.” Suddenly she leaned right and forward and we went forward a few miles an hour.  “Whoa! Slight left around a tree!” We zoomed around a planted tree and she easily avoided it. “Sharp left” She leaned far left, almost turning us completely horizontal. “Straight, hill going down.” She picked up speed and raced down the hill. “Right!” “Left!” “Hard Left!” “Straight!” I navigated down the streets of downtown San Fransokyo, speeding by the people walking the streets late at night.