Chapter 35

Despite her countless efforts and attempts of trying to talk to Chloe, Beca arrived at school Monday morning wishing she could be anywhere else but there. As the brunette got out of her Mustang, slinging her backpack over her shoulder, she could instantly feel the stares and eyes that were watching her walk into school. Beca clenched her jaw, trying to stop herself from snapping out of anger as she pushed through their glares and whispers while walking towards her locker.

Taking a deep breath, Beca opened her locker, hiding her head inside as it hung low, trying to find a few seconds of privacy from the rest of the school."Hey", she jumped and looked over her shoulder to find Stacie chewing on her bottom lip, looking guilty as she had her arms crossed, "I uh.. I tried calling you over the weekend"

"Yeah, well so did other people but I ignored them too, so don't take it personally Conrad", Beca grabbed her English book, slamming her locker shut now as she put on a brave face.

"I didn't know if you hated me", she mumbled quietly, still avoiding to look at her best friend.

"You know what, I probably should hate you!", Beca turned to face the taller brunette, her anger starting to spill out now, "But I just hate myself for what I did"

"Bec..", Stacie stepped forward and placed her hand on the soccer star's shoulder, "We can't change what happened so you can't blame yourself"

"I need to..", Beca turned around, not wanting to speak about it anymore but stopped in her tracks when she saw her redhead across the hallway, her back to Beca as she sorted through her locker. She instantly felt her mouth go dry and her breathing go heavy as she saw the one person that she would do anything for.

Just as Beca took a few steps forward, wanting to go over to speak to the cheerleader, she felt Stacie's hand stop her again. Stacie pulled back on her best friend's arm, "Maybe you should give her some space Beca, come on", Stacie whispered softly, looking down at the girl as she tried to see what thoughts were running through her mind.

Across the hallway, Chloe was trying to focus on what Aubrey was telling her about the dance committee meeting at lunchtime to start sorting out decorations for Spring Formal. But the same thoughts that had haunted her all weekend, was all she could hear. "She never loved you", the redhead closed her eyes as she tried to keep her emotions controlled, not wanting to make a scene in public again.

"So, I'll see you at lunch?", Aubrey's voice would wake Chloe from her daydream now as she looked back up at her friend.

Forcing a smile, Chloe cleared her throat, hoping it wouldn't crack when she spoke, "Yeah, I'll be there Bree"

Chloe didn't miss the way Aubrey's gaze shifted a little as the cheer captain noticed something, or someone, behind her. "You want me to walk with you to homeroom?"

Even though she knew who was standing behind her. Even though she knew that if she turned to face them, her heart would break all over again, Chloe didn't stop herself from looking over her shoulder. She felt her breathing hitch, when her eyes instantly locked with Beca's, all of the hurtful words and emotions she wanted to erase from her memory hitting her at full force.

As quickly as she had locked eyes with Beca, Chloe turned back to face Aubrey, who had moved her hands to rest on her shoulders. The redhead felt like if Aubrey wasn't currently holding her up then she would most definitely fall to the floor in a heap of tears and heartbreak. "I-I.. I need to go to the bathroom, but I'll be fine on my own", she didn't bother to look up at the blonde as she pushed her way through the hallway, bursting through the bathroom door and locking it behind her.

Chloe tried to control the tears that she could feel pooling in her eyes and wanting to fall down her face once more as she rested her forehead against the locked door, taking deep breaths now. As she took one final deep breath and cleared her throat of the lump that had been sitting there, the cheerleader spun around to check her eyes didn't look red and puffy in the mirror.