Chapter 16

"Beca, I haven't seen you in so long", Mrs Conrad, Pamela, smiled as she opened the door to the small brunette. "Come in, come in", she pulled the girl in by her arm before hugging her tight.

"Hey Mrs C", Beca smirked as she pulled away from the woman. "How's it going?"

"Oh, same old stuff", she flicked her straight blonde hair over her shoulder, "I think Stacie's in her room studying"

"Thanks", the soccer star smiled again before jogging up the stairs and walking along the hallway towards her best friend's bedroom. She burst through the door, laughing as she watched Stacie jump and drop her phone from her hands. "Wow, some real good studying happening in here", she sarcastically nodded before moving the books onto the floor and jumping into the space next to the cheerleader.

"Whatever, I was actually just looking at some potential homecoming dresses", Stacie picked her phone back up and continued scrolling. "Have you found your date yet?"

"Nah, you know me, I'll just wait till the week before and take my pick then", Beca smirked, running a hand through her hair.

"Still crying over not taking the redheaded beauty to the ball Becs", Stacie jutted out her bottom lip, pouting for a second before bursting out into a laugh that echoed throughout the room.

"Shut up", she pushed her best friend to stop her laughing, "But I did want to speak to you about something", she rubbed the back of her neck nervously as she avoided looking back at Stacie who had straightened up and became serious.

"What's wrong?", she looked over at the smaller brunette, noticing the conflicted look across her face and becoming worried.

"I can't go through with the bet Stacie, I need to pull out", she sighed, playing with her fingers in her lap.

"What do you mean? You're gonna forfeit the whole thing, just like that?", Stacie moved so she sat cross-legged and facing her best friend more now.

"It's not that I don't think I could do it, because I know I could", Beca smirked a little, the confidence coming back to her for just a second, "But do I really have it in me to break up Tom's first and maybe only relationship"

"The Beca I know wouldn't have even hesitated at something like this last year", she nudged Beca in the shoulder, trying to get the girl to look up at her. "What's happened?"

"She happened", Beca snapped back, finally looking up to lock eyes with the taller girl. "I-I can't get her out of my mind and when I'm around her I can't help but trying to make her laugh or smile at anything, I don't care what it is I have to do to get it, but her smile", Beca smiled just thinking about it, "It makes everything feel like it's going to be okay, you know?"

"Yeah", Stacie smiled softly, feeling guilt now for starting this bet. "Sounds like you've caught some real feelings there Becs", she'd place her hand on the brunette's shoulder.

"She makes me want to be better, not just in school with my grades but as a person", she smirked, rolling her eyes. "And she's made me into this soppy, soft, weak person that I never thought I could be"

"It's called being in love Beca", Stacie smirked, pushing her shoulder now as she watched the smile start to grow on her best friend's face.

"Which is why I can't do the bet", Beca sighed, the smile falling from her face now, as she looked back down at the bed spread. "She's happy with Tom and Tom..", she rubbed her hands down her face, becoming frustrated, "I've never seen him like this with someone before"

Stacie nodded, not knowing what to say as she thought over everything. Her head snapped up then, an ingenious idea coming to mind as she bounced excitedly on the bed, causing Beca to look over at her as she explained. "Think about it though, if you got Chloe to fall in love you you'd win both ways", she smiled, "You'd have the girl of your dreams that you are also in love with and you'd win the bet"