Chapter 22 - Rehearse Dinner Party

Liam doesn't say a word during our ride where we have to meet everyone else. I take a few glimpses at him to know if he's angry but he just looks cold, a bit tense maybe considering how tight he grabs the steering wheel. I don't try to make conversation no matter how awkward the silence is, I have the sense to know it's not a good idea.

When we arrive he parks and gets out and I guess I was getting used to him waiting for me outside the car so when he goes ahead and I have to hurry to catch up I realise he is indeed pissed. I didn't mean to make him angry, I know he doesn't like to be reminded of the contract but what else can I do? He's getting too close and after that kiss I need to draw the lines again because it seems they got blurry for him. The mention of the contract and the reality of what that means are the only tools I have to push him away and remind him that none of this is real. Even if it's not a job for him and just an easy relationship, it is a job for me and I don't want to confuse things.

I just follow him inside and notice almost everyone is there already. Waiters wander through the people in the reception, offering champagne and I only sigh when I see Liam grabbing a glass and just swallow the whole content in one go. He then grabs another glass but I put my hand on his forearm before he drinks that one, too.

"Take it slowly," I tell him and he glares at me.

"What? Is also in the contract to control my alcohol intake?" he spat and then shoves my hand away.

Yes, he's angry. Very angry.

"Liam, please. It's your sister's rehearse dinner party and you have to give the speech. You can't get drunk now," I remind him in whisper but he ignores me and drinks the whole glass.

"Leave me alone," he replies and leaves me there before putting the empty glass on a tray and grabbing another one. I accept that I'll have to drive us back tonight because he won't be in condition to do so.

"Where did Liam go?" someone asks and I turn to find Ruth and Arthur standing there. I smile at them and then focus on her.

"He said he saw someone and wanted to say hi," I lie and as not to get caught I add, "you look lovely, Ruth." And I mean it. She's wearing a pastel pink dress with some glittery embroils that actually look really cute. It's simple and adorable, yet elegant for the party.

"Thank you, you look amazing. Liam is crazy for leaving you behind," she shakes her head. "That boy, he doesn't know how to take care of what he has," she mumbles next and I laugh nervously. "Come with us, let's find him."

I want to protest but I can't so I'm dragged after Liam. I pray that he'll behave in front of his sister and won't say anything about the contract. It's fine between the two of us, but I have the impression that if his family finds out all this is fake then they'll get really hurt and I don't want that. They are really nice and I like them, they have the warmth I miss from my mum and from when things used to be great in my little family. I love my father, but it's not the same. A whole family will always feel warmer.

We find Liam and I have the feeling he's drunk at least other two glasses. His gaze is not as sharp when he looks at me but he still seems pissed.

"There you are! You don't leave your girlfriend alone, Liam. If you see an old friend, you have to brag!" she scolds him and Arthur chuckles but he's the only one, I just smile awkwardly and Liam is staring at me.

"Right, I should totally brag, after all I've got an amazing girlfriend. I got really lucky with her, it's almost as if someone picked the perfect girl for me," he mutters bitterly and my eyes widen. I move before I can think and I'm at his side, my arm tightly looped around his, pulling him towards me.