The hospital

The ambulance arrived. Ianto was placed onto a stretcher and carried from the house. Jack wasn't aloud in the ambulance with him as he wasn't family but they were able to follow behind in the car if they wanted. Hot tears spilled from jack's eyes as he stood, stock still in the doorway. He felt his mums arm snake round him, pulling him close. He breathed in the comforting, musky scent of her perfume and relaxed against her feeling like a child again. "He'll be okay" she murmured, jack took a breath of cold night air "b-but what if he's not" he managed to stutter, only now realising that he was sobbing. "Mom.... can I follow the ambulance?". His mum smiled "course you can ... but I'll drive you. You're in no fit state to drive. I'll have to go and get grey. We'll just drop you off then come straight back ... grey needs his sleep." As if on cue, they heard a sleepy snuffle behind them. "Mom....what's happening .... why is jack crying?" Came the small voice of grey. "It's okay grey we just have to drop jack off somewhere okay? so we're going to get in the car" his mum explained in a calm voice, smiling. Jack didn't know how she did it.

Jack tapped on his knee impatiently as they followed the ambulance to the hospital. Grey had, thankfully, fallen straight back to sleep in the back of the car so he wouldn't worry when they pulled up at the hospital. But jack was worried, he was very worried. He started when the sirens started to blare from the ambulance in front. "Mom... Mom why have they turned the sirens on .... do you think he's okay?" He panicked frantically. His mum nodded and smiled comfortingly as she focussed on the road in the night. FINALLY, they arrived at the hospital and jack hopped out, thanking his mum. He rushed through the double sliding doors of the hospital and reeled slightly at the clean chemical smell. He came face to face with a kind looking red haired receptionist. "Hi... I'm ... I followed an ambulance... my boy- my friend collapsed and they said I could follow.... now I don't know what to do." He babbled as she waited patiently. She gestured to a seat as she typed "you can wait over there... as soon as we get him through and ready for you to see him... I'll let you know."

Ianto blinked his eyes open to face bright lights. "Welcome back ianto how are you feeling" A young nurse smiled at him. He blinked "um I'm okay .... wheres jack". The nurse frowned "whose jack?" A look of realisation dawned on his face as he pulled out his phone checking his emails "Ahh the lad waiting for you in reception ...well I'll just ask you a few questions first".

Jack waited for what seemed like hours. He couldn't sit still. He stood up, paced and sat down again. Keeping this up for several minutes. He finally sat down. He was tired ... but ianto! What was happening how long had it been half an hour? Three hours? What if he'd died... what if ... no ... he'd be fine ... right?

Ianto was getting sick of this young nurse. "Look I was with jack when I... like collapsed I'm fine .... can I just see him?!" He snapped exasperatedly. He didn't mean to be rude he just really wanted to see jack.

The voice of the red haired receptionist cut through his thoughts "was it ... a... ianto jones? In the ambulance?" Jack stood up quickly "Yes!". She smiled at his reaction "good news he's awake... he'll be in a private room at this time of the night ... room 25 by ward b just down there." She handed him a small paper map for good measure and pointed to the clearly labelled room. He rushed down the hall following the map as best he could, a young male nurse stood at the door of the room. "Are you by any chance .. jack?" He asked as jack came to a halt outside the room. The American nodded distractedly "he's been asking for you" the nurse added as he opened up the door to the room. "He May be a little loopy, he's on pain meds" the nurse added.

Jack heard the door close behind him, no doubt giving them some privacy, as he stood suddenly face to face with ianto once again. "Sorry" the small voice seemed to come for Ianto. "What are you Sorry for" the American questioned as he took a seat next to Ianto's bed. Ianto smiled slightly "ruined your night". Jack frowned at him "no you didn't don't think that ... oh before I forget." He reached into his pocket and brandished the tiny toy koala, he tucked it into the bed, beside ianto. Ianto looked down at it quizzically "how'd you get that thought I left him on the stairs ..." he mumbled. "You were holding him when you got to mine". Ianto's expression mimicked one of a confused toddler as he wracked his brains "oh yeah! I remember I grabbed him before I went cause he reminds me of you ... in case I didn't make it there" he concluded. Jack smiled "why wouldn't you have made it". Ianto looked at him like he was stupid "world was all spinny" he made an aggressive spinning motion with his hand to prove his point "like a washing machine!" He exclaimed seemingly proud of his simile. Jack nodded "right". There was silence for a few seconds as Ianto held the koala up to his face, examining it. "You alright?" Jack questioned slowly and a little suspiciously. Ianto just narrowed his eyes at his koala. "Ianto....". Silence. "KODY!" Ianto suddenly exclaimed, jack jumped out of his skin "Jesus ianto you nearly gave me a heart attack... what are you on about." Ianto glanced at jack seriously "if you did have a heart attack you're in the right place but .... Kody the koala ! He needed a name!". Jack marvelled at how ianto jumped from serious to adorably childlike within a matter of seconds as he laughed. They turned towards the door startled when a frantic looking nurse swept in.