Mid week drama

Wednesday. Ianto trailed into school. After his acceptance of Lisa's date on Monday she had been unbearable, babbling non stop about the film they were going to see and the fact that she really liked ianto. She spoke as if ianto wasn't there. They hadn't even been on one date and she was acting as if ianto was already her boyfriend.

Jacks Wednesday already wasn't any better. Gwen, Owen and Rhys were questioning him non stop about what had gotten him so down. He had been feeling dejected ever since Monday, he didn't understand why ianto had run off like that. "Jack come on we're your friends aren't we" gwen prompted "you're torchwood" jack pointed out. This group of friends wasn't exactly known to be reliable. "Yeah and so are you now ... so come on spill" owen told him as he threw himself into the wall next to them both. Jack sighed and caved "Ianto" he informed them briefly. Rhys scoffed "we're gonna need a little more information than that mate... what about jones?" He got no answer "you got a crush on him or something ?" He joked. Jacks eyes widened, if rhys had said that as a joke then it couldn't be a good sign. "Wait.." Gwen realised, being the first to catch on "do you really?!" She half shouted, "shhh" jack hissed at her. "Sorry mate" Owen piped up, stretching his arms "pretty sure he's straight he probably wouldn't so much as kiss you." Jack shrugged "see that's the thing..." he trailed off. "He didn't ?!" Gwen gasped, ever the dramatic. Jack gave her a warning glare "but then he just ... ran away" He explained. Rhys kicked a cab across the floor "forget it mate ... it's not worth worrying over" he said with a shrug as he sat down offering the first piece of real advice to the conversation.

Tosh and ianto were waiting outside of English the only lesson they both had with jack. Jack made eye contact with ianto and ianto couldn't help but smile. "I thought you said you DIDNT like jack in that way" tosh hissed under her breath. "I don't" ianto replied distractedly. "Then why can't you take your eyes off him". Ianto managed to tear his eyes away from the attractive American long enough to look at tosh "i can ... see! now can we change the subject?". Tosh shrugged "looking forward to your date with Lisa?" She reminded him of the date loudly causing people to turn round. "tosh!" Ianto hissed flushing red he didn't want people to know about his dating life and he certainly didn't want jack to know. Not that he minded what jacks opinion was of course... just that... well he wasn't the sort of person to tell every new friend about his love life, now was he?Ianto glanced warily in jacks direction. Jack had heard. Jack had definitely heard.

Wednesday lunchtime came and ianto felt himself being pulled behind a bike shed before he could take two steps away from the history block. Ianto tensed hoping it wasn't one of his old bullies deciding to pick on him again, they'd all been fairly quiet this year. Ianto allowed himself to relax when he saw it was merely jack. "So a date with Lisa?" Jack asked casually as if he hadn't just essentially kidnapped ianto. Ianto nodded "yeah on Saturday" he frowned, Jack was acting odd. If ianto didn't know better he could've sworn jacks face fell. "Do you really wanna go on the date?" Jack sounded almost desperate. The welsh boy nodded uncertainly. Jack shrugged regaining his shield "that's a shame I was gonna ask you to come to my mums housewarming party there's gonna be so many people I don't know there it'll be boring without you" jack seemed to think for a moment "you could come over after your date?".
"I don't know Jack..."
"Just think about it ... please?"
There it was again the desperate note in jacks voice. Ianto's must be imagining it.

The days whipped by far to quickly for Ianto's liking. Nothing much happened at school, it never did. Well apart from jack managed to fall off his chair in history before he had even began to sit down on it. Jack also got the highest maths score in his class on his test and was acting like an excited puppy for the rest of the day. Ianto wondered if exciting and funny things always happened to jack, because as far as he knew they'd never happened to anyone before. Or maybe he just hadn't noticed.

Before ianto knew it it was Saturday afternoon and he had one hour until his date with Lisa. He pretended not to notice that he didn't bother about his outfit choice nearly as much as he had for jack or that he had to remind himself multiple times that it was ACTUALLY a date not just a movie with a friend. He especially pretended not to notice his lack of nerves that he was pretty sure he should be feeling. He grabbed his jacket and he was out the door.