Glass and hatred

A/N and warning: ⚠️tw: abusive father (obviously) and one use of the word 'f*g'. There's blood too so yanno⚠️
————————————————————————

The house was in darkness when ianto cracked the door open. He assumed everyone had gone to bed, perhaps he even hoped that they had. Maybe he hoped so much, he didn't notice the living room light illuminating the hallway. He crept down the hallway to the kitchen, tossing his koala prize onto the stairs for now. Whilst he was filling his glass with water he heard a sound behind him. He tensed. "Hello ianto...", his dads voice was scarily calm, it was almost eerie. "Where's mam?" Ianto questioned attempting to steady his voice.
"Work... she's got the night shift", ianto shuddered, his fathers voice sounded menacing. He took a sip of his water to calm his nerves and turned to face his father. "Where were you, ianto?.."
"Uhm ... I was on a ... date"
"Who with?"
"Lisa?..." Ianto hadn't meant for her name to sound like a question.
"That's funny... because when i saw you arrive... I'm pretty sure you were sucking the face off of that JACK BOY". His fathers voice rose slowly and with those last two words he slammed his fist on the kitchen table. Ianto jumped, cold water sloshing from the glass over his hand. "I- I mean I wasn't" he stuttered. "DONT TRY AND BACK TRACK NOW IANTO ... WHAT ARE YOU EY?! A FILTHY FAG?!".
"Dad please no I'm-", he didn't have time to finish his sentence. His father lunged forward grabbing him by the collar of his shirt tearing it slightly with his force. The glass of water slipped from Ianto's fearful grip and shattered on the tiles of the kitchen.

Ianto could feel his fathers fingers digging into the soft flesh of his neck. He wondered, if just for a second, whether his dad was attempting to rip his throat out with brute force. Then came the blow. A sharp punch to his nose paired with a hard knee between his legs sent ianto flying to ground. His hands stung as they hit the cold tiles with a slap. He lay still for a second his eyes squeezed shut, tears began to fall from behind his eyelids. "STOP!.... CRYING! PRINCESS!" His father bellowed, punctuating each word with a sharp kick to Ianto's back and spitting the last word with disgust. Ianto whimpered in pain... so his father was wearing his hiking boots ...okay. He heard his father bend down. He could hear glass being moved around and if he knew his dad... he wasn't clearing it up. Sure enough a shower of broken glass pelted his face. He shook slightly, laying still on the floor. He needed to brace himself for what was next. Nothing happened. A door slammed.. and ianto was alone. He cracked an eye open warily. He heard the front door slam... he was home alone... he tried to move. Groaning at the pain he dragged himself upright. He knew he had glass in his cheek. He reached up, feeling it. He braved himself and pulled hissing at the pain... still, at least it wasn't in the cut anymore. He turned towards the door whimpering at the pain in the back of his head ... the world spun, he leant against the sink weakly. His father hadn't left him like this before. He put a hand to the back of his head. Blood. He must have hit his head as he fell. He glanced to the floor, he felt sick. He hadn't expected to see his own blood pooling on the white tiles, running like tiny rivers between them. He had to get out of here. Out of this house.

He was running and running. He was Vaguely aware of the blood dripping down the side of his face... but he didn't care. This time, he knew where he was going. He just wanted to get there. He didn't care about the odd looks given to him. He didn't even stop to acknowledge the police officer who tried to ask him whether he was running from someone at this time of the night.

He was there. The world was spinning, but he was there. He barely had the strength to tap on the door but somehow he managed it.

Jack was chatting with his mum in the kitchen when they heard it. Barely a knock. His mum started, "I'll get it" he told her as he crept to the door. He wasn't sure who it could be knocking so eerily at this time of the night. What he saw, he wasn't prepared for. Ianto stood swaying on his doorstep, barely aware of the world around him. Ianto was still in the clothes he had been just hours before when jack had last seen him, but they were torn and bloodied. He barely had time to catch the Welshman before he collapsed into his arms, eyes sliding shut almost peacefully.

"MOM!" He yelled frantically "MOM CALL AN AMBULANCE!"

He could hear his mother scrambling for her phone as he spoke to ianto trying to wake him up. "Ianto please .... come on... we've got a second date .... in a few weeks .. remember? You have to be okay for that." He pleaded his voice hitching slightly wanting nothing more than for his friend/date to be okay.

He heard his mum chattering on the phone. He knew they'd begin to ask her questions about Ianto soon ... and she hadn't even seen ianto. Jack tried to take iantos hand in his, that's when he noticed it. Ianto was clutching the tiny toy koala from the fair. Jack half smiled as he took the koala gently and put it in his pocket, even when ianto was hurt and running he had still held onto the koala. He assumed ianto had grabbed it as he ran out the door, though he couldn't think why. His mother wandered out into the hall trying not to look at the unconscious boy in her sons arms. "Is he bleeding?" She repeated the operator's question to jack. Jack nodded "uh ya the back of his head and there's more cuts on his face" he clarified biting his lip and trying not to concentrate on the old and fresh blood mingling in Ianto's hair.

His mum repeated this to the worker on the other end of the phone. "Jack is he breathing?" She asked suddenly and the question hit him like a ton of bricks... his blood ran cold. Why hadn't that been the first thing he checked? He leant forward tilting Ianto's chin up to free his airway "Um ....... yes... no?? I don't know??! shallowly?" He exclaimed in anguish, his eyes filling with tears. He followed the advice of the operator and put ianto in the recovery position as best he could, while pressing a cloth to the gash on Ianto's head to slow the bleeding.

His mother watched in silence. He turned to her, looking up from the floor "mom?.." jack asked not exactly know what he was asking for. He suddenly looked like a small child again, seeking comfort.