Part 38

Lexi slowly shakes her head. She's standing in the middle of a field, but why is it so hard to breathe, as if walls are closing into her.
"You're lying." Lexi tries to sound as strong as she can. She fails.
"Lauren, stop." Niall warns.
When Niall's trembling voice crawls in her ear, she knows Lauren isn't lying.
Lexi's hands fall off Niall's arm, dangling down on her sides.
"I'm not, why would I?" She asks. "We're best friends after all." Lauren says raising her eyebrows. "I just didn't want to hurt you." Lauren says sympathetically, although that's the last thing she feels. "You know, the fact that he laid his hands on me way before he even saw you that way is very painful." She smiles blinking her eyes a few times.
"One could argue the fact that you both weren't together yet." Lauren tilts her head. "But the next day after he left the house, he got together with you. Wow, what a coincidence." She laughs, bending her body as if she's telling a joke.
"And then he never showed up again. I figure maybe I was horrible in bed." She laughs turning to Niall. "But turns out he's just a dick." She sneers.
"We were both drunk-"
"And that's an excuse?" Lexi snaps.
Niall's eyes go wide in surprise and fear.
She finally lowers her head letting a few tears drop down the grass.
"Lexi..." Niall reaches for her and she sighs prying his hands off not looking up as she turns to her parents.
Her parents are holding onto each other as they watch their daughter's heart gets broken in front of them.
Her mother blinks away the tears forming before letting out a sad smile.
"Home?" She asks.
Lexi nods. "Home."
Niall grabs Lexi's hand quickly before he's being pushed back by her dad.
"Wait! Don't go!" Niall begs.
Lexi doesn't even look back at him as she's escorted to her parents' car by her mum.
"It's was a fucking mistake, goddamn it! We were both drunk. It meant nothing to us!" Niall screams trying to pry away her dad's hand holding him back.
Lauren stares as Niall's words slaps her face hard, but she's doesn't care. She did what she has to do.
Niall watches as Lexi climbs in her parents' black Mercedes, hearing the door slams so loud.
Her dad finally lets go of Niall, giving him a stare before shaking his head, walking away with his hands in his pockets.
"Sir," Niall starts but stops when her dad turns to him, watching what he's about to do with fierce eyes.
"I," Niall suddenly lost all of his bravery and his ability to speak english as he stares back at those angry eyes.
"You," He sternly warns. "Are not good enough for my daughter." Her father says.
He turns around without a second word, looking back at Niall and Lauren for a split second before entering his car.