Chapter Two

I was starving by the time lunch time came around. I loaded up my plate.

"There is that famous appetite" Ezra grinned.

"I'm so tired" I told them. "and hungry. I forgot how draining it was"

"Me too" Thomas nodded. "So we have Spells and Enchantments in half an hour. I'm actually looking forward to that class"

"I'm not" Ezra groaned. "I should not have to learn that" he waved his hand aside.

"Well I shouldn't learn how to handle a sword but we can't all get what we want" a witch sat down next to Ezra. She was wearing a black cloak around her neck. "I'm Hannah" she smiled at him. "Third Year Wizardry student" she introduced herself.

"Ezra- Guard student" he smiled at her. His fear of magic had slipped from his mind.

"Iris- Guard student"

"Thomas-Guard student"

We walked into a class with all black cloaks. We stood out like sore thumbs in our purple cloaks. We were the only Guard students in the class.

"The Brawns joining the Brains" the instructor waved us in. He was a much older man with short wiry gray hair. He had a joking smile on his face and kind eyes "I'm glad to finally get some students from your track. When I saw my roster- I was so delighted. Come in- come in and introduce yourself to the class"

"Young man" he pointed at Thomas. "Introduce yourself and tell us about your pets"

"My name is Thomas, I am a Guard student and I am really excited to be here. I am looking forward to learning spells. I have two dogs"

"Booo" someone called. There was some laughter around the room. Thomas sat down. I noticed there were a few owls and cats in the room.

"My name is Ezra, I am also a Guard student hence the purple cloak" a few students chuckled. "I actually don't like magic- it makes me nervous. I'm allergic to cats" Ezra joked. Ezra sat down and I got to my feet.

"My name is Iris and same track. I don't' know much about magic. I have a bird for a pet, no cats he doesn't like them very much." I took a seat.

"Welcome to Spells and Enchantments, I look forward to seeing what talents you will bring to the class. "As for your pets, too bad you can't bring them. I'm sure we can borrow some owls from the mail tower. I might have some spare mice in this room" I smiled at his humor. "Please make your new classmates feel welcome, I am thrilled to have you all in here. We are going to have some fun. Quills and parchments- please" Thomas rolled his eyes. He handed us a few pieces and quills with ink.

"Don't you read your lists"

"No" Ezra and I replied. It was the strangest class I had ever taken. We were required to memorize the spell out of class and we would practice it in class in small groups. There was no other homework.

"For the locus spell you must know their full name" Professor Curt replied. "and for the gyro spell remember to stand North. Use a loud clear directive voice" I was so lost. The only one out of the three of us that knew what he was talking about was Thomas.

"Damn spell" Ezra flipped through the book. He took off his cloak annoyed "What is it again for"

"Finding someone, Locus" Thomas took off his cloak too. "Okay Iris we are going to locate you"

"Great" I stood still.

Thomas cleared his throat. "Where you might be, near or far point me in the direction of Iris Burke"

I waited for something to happen. I stared at three of them.

"Did I say it wrong?" Thomas scratched his head.

"Clearer" Ezra rolled his eyes. "These things don't work" he crossed his arms.

"Fine, let me try it with you. Where you might be, near or far show me Ezra Millers location"

Three blue sparks went off into the air.

"What the hell?" Ezra looked up. "That was cool, let me try." Ezra cleared his throat. "Where you might be, near or far point to Iris Burke's location" I waited for something. Again nothing. I shook my head with a shrug.

"Miss Burke let me see you try"

"Okay" I pulled the book towards me. "Where you might be, near or far show me Thomas location" Again, three blue sparks went off. I smiled amazed by the simple spell. "That was cool" I smiled at the professor.

"Mr. Miller you next" Professor Curt nodded at him.

Ezra tried it again but this time with Thomas.

"Good job, try the gyro spell. This one is a little trickier. Go outside the classroom for this one" he suggested.

"That was awesome" Thomas picked up his textbook. "Okay so for this one it says to have someone hide and stand North- I'm assuming because of the north star"

"Oooh me" Ezra laughed. "This one will be fun" Ezra took off down the hall.

"Okay let's see. The spell goes Norte Norte, direct me to insert name. Norte Norte point me in his direction, while holding our your right hand out." Thomas handed me the book. Thomas cleared his throat and held out his right hand. "Norte Norte, ,direct me to Ezra Miller, Norte Norte point me in his direction"

A dial appeared on his hand.

It started to spin, it pointed south opposite of Thomas. We grinned at each other and followed the compass on his hand. We found Ezra hiding in a closet.

"Are you kidding me, it worked" Ezra sounded so excited. "My turn, my turn Thomas go hide"

We found Thomas hiding in the classroom. It was my turn to hide and I towards the other end of the hall.. I hid behind a pillar, waiting. About five minutes passed, and I heard footsteps.

"You found me" I jumped out. I stopped short. It was only Byron. "Oh hi" I looked over Byron's shoulder. I didn't see the boys.

"Shouldn't you be in class" Byron asked.

"Yes we are in Spells and Enchantments, they are supposed to be finding me" I looked around. "It doesn't take this long." I could hear laughter echoing down from the classroom.

"I will see you later" Byron answered. "You are going to join me for a Knives competition"

"Already" I blinked at him.

"Yes- eat a quick dinner" he answered. "Did Nurse Gail give you something so you could sleep?"

"How do- never mind." I waved my hand. "Yes"

"Well you shouldn't need it, I'll keep you occupied" Byron touched my hand briefly.

"I would worry if you didn't Byron" I replied. He smiled at me warmly. I realized I had had missed him. I had missed his annoying demanding ways. What did that say about me?

"See you later" Byron took off.

"Iris where did you go?" Ezra called out. I was heading for the classroom. "The stupid spell wouldn't work for you" A few students gave him a dirty look.

"I know- waited for you guys." I rolled my eyes. "I guess today isn't my day. Anyway I just saw Byron and there is a knives competition"

"That would be cool to check out. Imagine if you are a total badass" Ezra laughed. "Class is over, I actually like this class guys."

"Me too" we waved at Professor Curt. We headed for our next class which was History Year 6 with Dr. Langston.