Eighteen; Dream a Little Dream

May 25th, 2010
1:35 pm
The Apartment of Elizabeth and McKenzie Doyle
Washington D.C.

Eliza opened the front door of her apartment, half expecting her sister to bombard her with questions and hugs. Instead, she heard music coming from the living room, and Kenzie nowhere to be found. She dropped her bags on the bench in the front hall and made her way to the living room. Kenzie was lying on the couch, reading a book, Cocoa curled up next to her.

"Welcome home!" Kenzie greeted. "I didn't hear you come in." 

"What if I told you that you were right?" Eliza asked slowly.

"Well, it would depend on what I was right about," Kenzie reasoned.

"Let me clarify." Eliza took a pause for dramatic effect. "I have a date tonight."

"With who? You've been out of town for a day. Unless you met someone at a coffee shop on the way home, you haven't met anyone new. Who could you possibly have a date with?" Kenzie looked at her sister suspiciously.

"That's where the 'you being right' thing comes in," Eliza informed her sister. How Kenzie was missing the obvious, she didn't know.

"Oh my god." Kenzie stood up from the couch. "Oh my GOD!"

"I know!" Eliza exclaimed.

"You finally asked him out?" Kenzie grabbed her sister's arms and sat her on the couch.

"No, he asked me out. I'm supposed to meet him at his at seven."

"That's only five and a half hours for you to get ready," Kenzie said in a panic.

"That's plenty of time," Eliza replied.

"No, it's not! What are you going to wear, how will you do your hair, what's your plan for makeup?" Kenzie worried. She got up and began pacing. "You have to let me help you."

"You actually want to help me get ready?"

"Yes! You're completely helpless! Your last relationship was arranged by mother and father!"

"Way to rub it in Kenz, that makes me feel so much better," Eliza said sarcastically.

"Please just let me help you. It has been a goal of mine to help you get ready for a date since you first went out with Shawn Leer when you were fourteen," Kenzie begged.

"Fine." Eliza finally gave in.

"YES!" Kenzie grabbed her sister's hand and began dragging her up the stairs.

"We are VERY different people," Eliza muttered.

May 25th, 2010
6:42 pm
Apartment of Elizabeth and McKenzie Doyle
Washington D.C.

Kenzie sat on the front hall bench, waiting for the big reveal. Eliza was still upstairs and cutting it close for time. Kenzie tapped her foot, anxious. Then the sound of heels echoed in the hall. She shot up, turning to face the end of the staircase. Eliza turned the corner, looking nervous.

"How do I look?" she asked timidly. Kenzie smiled widely. Eliza was wearing faded blue straight leg jeans and a white t-shirt with a plaid blazer over top. It was paired with black heels and a black bag. Kenzie smiled, admiring her clothes that her sister was borrowing.

"I think my clothes look better on you than they do me," Kenzie smiled. Eliza had never been one to genuinely care about looks. The care she took to get ready for this date was an indicator that she was genuinely nervous. "Now get out of here, he's probably losing his mind waiting for you."