Part 16: Rise

KAL-EL POV

I awakened to screams.

"Isis?" I rolled from my cot, and went to her.

She was half asleep as she struggled to sit up, as if she was dreaming of being restrained. I sat on the edge of her bed and she tried to hit me.

"Isis," I gripped her shoulders. "Isis, it's Kal-El!"

Her dark eyes opened, tears streaming down her face. She looked around, and released a heavy sigh, knowing she wasn't where she'd been before. She looked at me and I swallowed hard as she shook her head. "Why?"

"Hey," I gently pulled her into a sitting upright position and took her in my arms. "Shhh, you're safe."

"What witchcraft did they use?" she asked. "They cut me!" She looked down and saw no marks.

"The sun healed you." I told her.

"But how--"

I took a deep breath. "Kryptonite."

"Kryptonite?"

"When our home planet exploded, pieces of it came here and became poisonous to us."

She touched her neck and gasped.

"Diana had it cleaned." 

"Diana," she frowned. "The Amazon from Themyscira?"

"Yes." 

She tried to rise to her feet on her own, but she was still weak. 

"You just need time," I told her, helping her stand. She swooned against me. "Easy."

"They're having breakfast." She could hear them, so could I.

I gave a small chuckle. "Yes, it's morning."

She looked down at herself. She wasn't in the hospital gown anymore.

"Diana brought you something." I was looking at her too. She was really...something in it. 

"It's Egyptian cotton," she breathed, touching the fabric lovingly. "Bless her."

There was a knock at the door and she gasped softly, turning to look at it and smiled. I did, too. "This is Alfred, Bruce's assistant." I told her. "Come in."

"Good morning," Alfred nodded with a polite smile. "I trust you both slept well?" He began setting the table in front of us.

"Albalati, khabza, kunafu!" Isis clapped her hands and clasped them together. She promptly sat and waited for Alfred to finish. When he served coffee she moaned, "Gahveh...oh, al-halib walgerfa! " She looked at the meal happily. "Shukra!" She then gasped softly, inhaling the smell of the food with closed eyes and opening them tearfully. Remembering her manners she looked at Alfred. "Oh...thank you!" He nodded and smiled, and then she began talking in her native tongue to herself, cutting the fish. 

"Tilapia, bread, cheese and honey pastry, coffee with milk and cinnamon." Alfred nodded with a small smile. His eyes rose to mine. "An Egyptian favorite." He then left and came back with another plate. "Florentine Benedict?"

I looked at him gratefully, realizing this was why Bruce called him invaluable. 

She dug in hungrily for a first taste as she telekinetically poured the milk and cinnamon into her coffee. Her first mouthful swallowed, she sipped her coffee and rolled her eyes closed. "Mmmh!"

When I looked at Alfred, all I saw was his obvious amazement. "Thank you."

"You're welcome," Alfred nodded. "Your necklace is there." He turned on his heel and left us.