Part 11: The Burning Rope

ISIS POV

I felt like I'd come apart, come back together again, and then...I don't know.

How can he be alive? I asked myself the question and answers came to me immediately, but at the same time? Damn him!

"Are you sure you want to do this?" Chinzara asked. "Let us find him, bring him to you--"

"Chin, I'm faster," I said simply. "I'm sure I'll be fine. And don't worry, I will stay in the canyon as long as possible so I am not seen by their machines." I had to remember the map now, the one in my mind. The world had changed so much. I had spent night with something called Google Maps on my lap computer and phone, getting to know this new planet my world had become.

Finally, I got to Metropolis. I landed with a thud and looked around. I was distracted by everything. There were--different wheeled machines called cars, lights and windows of statues wearing clothes. Then there were the smells of foods and...oh, coffee...I know that smell. Chinzara and the others drank lots of it, and I liked it, too. It was a delicious thing. Some people ran from me, others put out their little boxes to record me. Well, this was useless. According to what Chinzara said Kal-El would hide among them and be around here. I rose to the skies to get a better view. 

Suddenly a flying machine came toward me. I could see the man inside. I caught it with both hands. "You almost hit me!" I frowned at him, and I could hear his heartbeat pound. "Easy, I'll put you down." I took the vessel to a nearby beach and set it by the water. I flew to the window, looking at the man inside. "You should not have such a machine if you cannot control it."

Suddenly, more men came. I frowned at them, shaking my head. "I mean no harm! I am looking for--" They aimed something at me, and fired. I stood there and waited for the pelts to finish. "I need help!"

One of the men stepped forward. "I am Captain Nathaniel Moore." He put out his hand. "We need you to come with us."

"I am Isis, and not those men who stole my name--"

"So we've heard." He inched closer. 

That didn't sound right. "I am looking..." I backed away as more men came closer and he stopped his advance. As my gaze swept the group, they froze. "for Kal-El.."

"We just want...to talk."

"But I do not have time right now," I said firmly. "I need to speak with Kal-El."

"And we," he said slowly. "We need to speak with you."

This captain's voice was laced with menace. He reminded me of Sethos. The memory sparked my distrust and anger. "No."  I saw more flying machines but these had rotating blades that let them hover like hummingbirds. "Hummingbird." I saw more people coming, but I knew the ones in uniform were the ones to contend with. "Leave me alone!" I said it too loudly, my voice carrying. I closed my eyes for control and shook my head, whispering, "You are no help at all." I turned to go.

A shot whizzed by me and burned...burned! I touched my shoulder and looked down. I was bleeding! I began to shake as I looked at the blood on my hand. I have never bled! I decided to go for the water. I dove and felt something catch my ankle and tighten around it. It hurt, it burned! I took a deep breath and screamed underwater.

The fish and creatures took off at the sound. I scanned the waters as I tried to make an escape. Surely there was someone--

"Help!" I let the bubbles escape me and go the distance to the man I could see

"Help!" I let the bubbles escape me and go the distance to the man I could see. "Tailmat! Yoo'i Kal-El! Gm'm Kal-El!" 

I felt the rope tug and I was pulled over and through waves as I struggled to get free. I pushed against the water to bend and try to free myself but the rope burned. I summoned strength and managed to get it loose but not off as something caught my waist and dragged me ashore. I touched it and I screamed in pain.

"Like I said," the captain said, looking me over as he secured the burning rope around my ankles and then put another around my wrist as I struggled like a fish on shore. "we want to talk."

I was in trouble, real trouble. I'd never felt this before. I'd hurt no one, I was sure of it, not even at the British lair. My body writhed as if poisoned and my mind was becoming muddled. I was weakening. I locked eyes with this man. I suddenly had nothing to say. I was not going to talk, under any circumstances. He could not be trusted.