Chapter 29: The Vortex

KAL EL POV

"What's happening?" I ask.

You're going through the vortex. Kryptonians can, humans cannot.

"Where are we going--?"

We both end up tumbling out of the vortex, and hit a large stone bed.

I look around and realize we are on an altar.  We were at the sacrificial altars on Isla del Sol on Lake Titicaca. 

"Your eyes," Sethos frowns, knowing they look different.

"Never underestimate the vortex, Sethos," I say to him, but I know they are not my words. 

His eyes narrow at me, and he grasps my shoulders. We are in the vortex again. There is suddenly water everywhere. I could see sunken aircraft and ships on the ocean floor as we moved in a circle, wrestling for the better grip on the other, then suddenly are airborne.

The Bermuda Triangle.

"My turn," I growl, putting in him a choke hold and flying in what would look like a streak to the human eye.

As we wrestle for control, he says, "You have help, Kal El."

"Some," I grunt as I land a punch and then spin him before trying to throw him. He holds onto my weapon and we both fight as we ride the path.

We'd been spat out into Stonehenge.

He jumped on top of one of the stones and I followed with ease

He jumped on top of one of the stones and I followed with ease. We were fighting for balance with our weapons while jumping from stone to stone at the same time. He tried to hook my staff, but I blew him off balance, and regained my own. He was angry at that. He tried to use heat vision to hit my staff, but I used my own and we both fell backward and away from each other. He charged me and I felt us go through the vortex again.

Home

Home.

"We should finish here, don't you think?" Sethos snarls, brandishing his weapon. "Where it all began...Geb?"

"It seems fitting enough," I say, not giving him a clue. 

Let me help, Geb tells me.

How?

Just let me guide you.

"Isis is mine." 

"Like hell!" I snap.

Ah, did not expect that feeling from you. Useful.

Sethos and I battle again in the sand, and we cause a small storm. I spin around him quickly. Even he has trouble seeing and rises above it. 

The porthole opens and we see Isis come through.

ISIS POV

I had been sitting in the temple awaiting my fate, and I couldn't help but feel something is wrong. It is wrong.

It should be me.

Tausret, Nefertiti, Hatsheput, Ahmose Nefetari, Asheotop...human female pharoahs...all queens. But their histories had been wiped, and their stories ended in mystery and possible murder thanks to their male counterparts.

That cannot be my fate. I cannot go down in history and never be truly beaten. I have to decide. I have to take my fate into my own hands. If I fall, I fall, but if I rise, then I rise.

I take another set of ruling tahtib-the flail and crook-and walk through the vortex, able to feel Kal-El's presence and track it through the many paths. I find myself where it all started, and see the sandstorm their battle is creating. They are grappling in the sand and I drop the weapons next to theirs on the ground. "I challenge you, Sethos!"