Part 21: Round One

FLASH POV

Why the hell am I here again?

I look around the room: Superman is in front of Isis facing some Egyptian guy and a few goons, but the ones in superhero looking stuff are the ones I know to worry about. Some cat chick is facing Wonder Woman and it isn't the one I heard Batman has the hots for, and Batman is facing some super cyber ninja soldier that I can tell share super hate. Aquaman is sizing everybody up and who is the lady with the guns?

I listened. Okay...Deathstroke? Stay away from that one. Cheetah can't be as fast as me, and that goes double for the lady with guns, whoever she is. But the Sethos guy, I dunno. I see the suits standing there like trees. Oh, yeah, nunya, or nunami...none of my business. I get people out.

Sethos is looking right at Isis and takes a step toward her. Superman's jaw tightens and so does his fists. Uh oh.

Suddenly action bursts everywhere. Isis backs away as Sethos and Superman grapple each other in a test of strength. I start moving the suits out of the meeting room and down the steps.

"Get outta here!" I say, leaving them by an exit on the ground floor. I head back up to get more, going past Cheetah who is being chased by Wonder Woman. I almost run into a wall of fire. I see Aquaman blast a sink in the room with his trident and the water amplifies, dousing the flames. I nod and get two more guys. As I do I see Superman do the biggest flying tackle ever at Sethos and they fly into a huge platform with an even bigger statue on it. I see a beam and look to see Isis save the statue with her staff, carefully moving it out of the way. Everyone almost freezes as the huge stone moves through by the tractor beam Isis is using. Oh, wow. That's what's Sethos is after, huh? 

Batman and Deathstroke were the ones to see. With Superman and Sethos out of the way, exchanging blows for blows, Deathstroke makes a move toward Isis and Batman steps in front of her as she uses her staff trying to save artifacts and literally repairing the falling roof over out heads. He draws guns and Batman sees it coming, knocking one out of his hands and ducking a shot to the head. The gun is in a struggle between the two above their heads and Batman delivers a blow to knock Deathstroke off balance, using that second to knock the other out of his hand.

"I love my job," Deathstroke grounds out, and the two do a duel of the fists that I wished I had time to Snapchat. The sparks flew everytime their armour clashed, and I almost stood there.

"The people, kid!" Aquaman called out to me, still dealing with the fire lady who was having trouble relighting the place.

I ran to do what I had to. I saw men coming. Us or them? Us or them? Us or--

"The staff!" Sethos called. 

Okay, them.

"Get the people out!" Cyborg calls. "Come on!"

The cronies are swept back by Isis using her staff, and again, I am awestruck. That thing is something else!

Sethos uses heat vision and Superman uses ice breath, creating some sort of mini vortex. Wait, these guys created an indoor tornado? 

Isis somehow gets possession of it.

"What?" I whisper, grabbing another two guys and taking them downstairs. 

Just then Sethos flies past me with Superman in hot pursuit. They head outside and start fighting in the skies. 

Firefly is runs away igniting fire along the walls and heads straight for Batman's back. She goes for Batman from behind, firing her gun in his direction.

"Batman!" I yell. "Fire!"

He turns just in time to shield himself from the flames with his cape, and Deathstroke is on the loose. 

"Luthor, you'd better be on point," Deathstroke growls as he charges Isis. I stand there in shock. This guy's got balls of--

Isis sends a blast at him and he pulls out a staff with lightning speed and...and....whoa, he absorbs it with that thing! He turns and sends the blast back, surprising her twice in seconds, once by absorbing her power and two by retaliating with it.  She is thrown back against the wall, and the force of impact pops the staff from her grip. The the surrounding wall caves in over her as Deathstroke grabs the staff. 

Wonder Woman jumps for Deathstroke but Cheetah grabs her ankle and swings her, using the force to catapult herself out. The fire lady uses her supply pack to rocket out behind her, leaving a wall of flame that Aquaman had to extinguish. 

Then, from the debris, Isis's hand emerges. The jewel from her staff flies directly back to her awaiting hand, and she rises from the rubble.

Superman flies back in and looks around. "Is everybody okay? He just took off, didn't wait for anyone."

"Yeah--" Wonder Woman said, catching her breath.

"No," Batman growled. "THey got the staff--"

"But not the jewel," Isis said with enough satisfaction to make me feel better.

Cyborg starts making repairs to the wall and foundation with his weapons. "This was for a staff?"

"Not just any staff," Isis says. "It is the staff of sickness and health, life and death, the elements in between."

"What?" I ask.

Batman looks around as people come out of hiding. "Let's pick this up later. We've got to do some damage control here."

"Already on it," Cyborg says, sealing cracks.

"You are Kryptonian," I nodded to her.

"Yes."

"Why did you go to Egypt first?"

"The land you know as Africa, India and South America were one mass, and the people had great knowledge and were ready to learn."

"And the Romans and Greeks and--"

"The barbarians who invaded?" she repeats. "They weren't, but they suited  Sethos' purpose just fine."

"So what do we do now?"

"Clean up and repair," Superman nods. "then we go back to headquarters and talk about your staff and stone. You didn't tell us everything." 

I see Isis well up. She looks like she might cry. "Why don't you talk to him?"

"I should try," she exhales. 

She floats over to him and I eavesdropped, just picking up small debris here and there.

"I'm sorry I didn't tell you," Isis says softly as he moves huge Egyptian sculptures back into place.

"I understand you not saying anything to them," Superman said in a low voice. "But I thought you trusted me."

"I do trust you, but how do I explain magic?"

He stops. "Magic."

"This staff is life and death, the elements in between."

"Go on."

"The staff is gold, from the earth, the jewel is lapis lazuli from the sea, with an amethyst heart which come from volcanic rock, very rare," she say softly. "The powers combined fill the air and can heal and sicken all living things."

"I may not be experienced in such things, but I am capable of understanding, Isis," he stands facing her. "You should have told me."

"I am sorry."

"You have the stone," he nods at it.

"Yes, the staff cannot work without it," Isis nods. "But he will try."

"We do what we can here, go back, and plan our next move," Batman says, walking between them. "Flash?"

"Oh, oh yeah, on it," I say to him and go back to clean up. I can already tell this may not be the biggest mess we have to clean up.