Part 7: Fortress of Solitude

KAL EL POV

I truly had never really brought anyone here. I brought Lois to my apartment, not here. I just wanted her to see Clark, not Kal-El. Sometimes I wondered if Kal-El or Superman portrayed Clark or the other way around. I always felt the same, but I was always seen differently depending on clothes I had on, except for Lois and the League.

I looked at Cyborg. I was relieved when he strongly suggested he  be the one to go. Part Mother Box technology, he had the best chance of talking to Kryptonian technology, and Bruce and Barry seemed best to stay and operate things within the League. 

"This is..." Diana looked around. "This is really something, Kal-El." She paused and looked at Cyborg. "What do you think, Victor?"

"I think I am glad Bruce isn't here," Victor replied as he scanned the place with his mechanical eye. "The possibilities are endless."

Bruce called him Cyborg because of his robotic half, but Diana always addressed him by the part of him that was human, Victor Stone. We shared a look. We both seemed to be aware of Bruce's aggression. Though Bruce's motivations are well-meaning, he had a dark side.

"Ah, here we go." Victor frowned. His robotic hand turned into a probe.

"Victor?" 

Victor turned to Diana.

"Be careful," she said softly.

He nodded, and plugged in. In seconds he tried to pull out, but the machinery had a hold. "Kal-el! Scan your hand now!"

I put my hand on the panel, and the computer scanned me. He visibly relaxed and did not withdraw. I went over to him. "Victor?"

"Victor?" Diana called softly.

"What information are we looking for?" Victor murmured. "There's a lot."

"Who settled on earth before Kal-El." Diana replied.

"Alright...." A lot of clicks happened. "It's going to take time to do, though."

"Why--"

"There were others here," Victor said, staring at the screens and lights. "There were others here before you."

I knew that. I knew this wasn't the ship I came in, nor the ship that Zod came in. The question was, whose ship were we in now? Diana showed no surprise.

"Kal-El?"

I turned to Bruce's voice. "Yes?"

"I'm getting a call from Africa?" 

Diana and I looked at each other. "What is it?"

"Seems our flying female fetale is making another appearance." Bruce reported.

"Where?"

"Floods are worsening, a village could be underwater in hours." He reported. "Boats are struggling to get to them and they are starving."

I stood there for a second. 

"You'd better go." Diana nodded. "I will stay with Victor." She looked sad.

"What is it?"

"Poor countries are always in peril," she said softly. "their cries often fall silent because no one comes to help, or come too late. Maybe Bruce is starting to see the Justice League is for more than just one land or place."

I looked at Cyborg, who took a deep breath. I took off, flying as quickly as I could.