Part 2: Battle of Rebirth

CHINZIRA POV

The chanting started.

Hototo, Che'Tima, Tocho and I rolled the sarcophagus carefully with Kachina and Bahiti, with warriors surrounding us, ready for any battle. We made short work of it all, simply "darting" security officers who we put into a deep sleep. I was happy for this. Even Isis would not want blood spilled if possible.

There was none.

We stared at the pool. 

"Do not touch it." I told them. We could almost feel residual powers from the Mother Box, as they called it. We were sure it was more than that, but that was not our concern. This had done its duty. I nodded to Bahiti and Kachina, and they began the chant and dance to call to Isis.

As the singing and chanting began, storms formed in the sky. People were trying to get in and our warriors barred all entrances and exits with what they could find.

"That hall, bar it!" I called to them. "That walkway there!" I pointed. They raced as our enemies raged against the doors, against us, against the night. I watched Isis's body sink into the waters, and as it sparked, I sparked with hope. "Do not stop!" I told Kachina and Bahiti. "Do not stop!"

They raised their voices higher as Kachina danced around the pool and Bahiti kept the song going. I looked to the broken roof in the sky, the storm clouds rolling, the thunder clapping and the lightning striking across the sky...but it must come here!

"Earth, hold us in your cradle!" I called out. "Wind, blow away our enemies! Skies open and send your fire! Breathe life from the heavens!" I yelled as the elements rose. "Strike with life!" I threw the papyrus staff into the pool and the miracle happened! The lightning struck the staff of Isis!

 "Strike with life!" I threw the papyrus staff into the pool and the miracle happened! The lightning struck the staff of Isis!

We all instinctively backed away from the pool as it began to flash with light, seeming to boil. The warriors ran through a rear exit, and once again it was just us, the Circle of Isis Temple. We stood at the hallway of the exit, but were all rooted to the spot watching. How many generations before us had waited for this? We had to see this. We had to.

The water seemed to jump from the pool as it did  in the film we watched, but this time it was golden light at the top of the wave

The water seemed to jump from the pool as it did  in the film we watched, but this time it was golden light at the top of the wave. Wings spread as the winds swirled water and woman, taking her up to the stormy skies and then she stopped as if caught. She descended slowly back through the hole in the roof and stopped above the pool, floating to where we stood. We dropped to our knees in fear and awe.

She bent forward for a moment, closing her eyes and covering her ears. After a few seconds, her eyes reopened and she dropped her hands to her sides. "Rise." She ordered softly and we did as quickly as we had dropped. "How long have I been gone?" she asked. "Many voices, sounds."

"Thousands of years," I answered shakily.

She came closer to us, and caught my head by my chin. She frowned. "I know your voice."

Tears came to my eyes. "Yes."

"You have been keeping me alive, all of you."

"Yes."  

"Thank you." she said. "I have been learning much as I slept, listening...to so many things in the world that escape my imagination, to so many things that have not changed but worsened in my absence." She swallowed hard. "We are going home."

Bahiti gasped as Hototo and Che'Tima's eyes widened. "But--"

"Much has changed, goddess-" I said tactfully.

"Much to see, much to correct, much to rebuild." Her eyes narrowed. She closed her eyes for a moment. "I am not the only one, the water told me that." She took a deep breath. "No matter. I am alive now, and things will change." 

Suddenly we heard the city's police and soldiers surround the place. 

"You are trespassing." A voice commanded loudly outside. "Come out with your hands up!"

Isis looked in the direction of the noise. "Who are these people?"

"We used their machine." I said quickly. Isis raised an eyebrow at that. "They do not know what we are doing or who we are, goddess. We just need to get away."

"Ah, " she nodded. "Still children needing a firm hand, I see. Run. I will cover your escape."

"But--"

"I will harm no one." she assured me. "When you are safe, call for me," she looked to the front doors. "I will find you."

We ran out the back door and circled round, not wanting to miss this.

"Come out with your hands up!"

Isis flew out of the top of the roof with her hands up and landed in front of it. "Now what will you do?"

"Surrender!"

Isis stood, incredulous. "I do not surrender." 

Gas was thrown at her. She sucked in the fumes and blew them back at the growing number of police. We heard the clicks of multiple guns. 

"Isis!" I called. She had never seen such weapons. 

"Come, she will be fine." Bahiti said quickly, pulling on me. 

As we made our escape, I heard the multiple shots ring out. 

"Surrender?" I heard her say. "That would be a wise decision. For you!" The ground shook, but we kept going. We saw a few police cars go in the air and stopped, gasping at the sight.

"We go to the park!" I announced. "Let's go!"