Part 12: Something to Tell the Class

AQUAMAN POV

"Let me in!" I roared at the Justice League entrance. "NOW!"

The cave door slid open and I saw the monitors going, as usual. He's the only person I know who doesn't game and has that many screens. I wonder how well he would do if he could communicate by water like me or hear like Kal-El does. He wants to know, but if he did he really wouldn't want to know.

I strode in looking around. "Bruce." I saw Kal-El. "What's up, Kal-El." I looked over and saw Cyborg in his usual spot, surrounded by tech in that usual trance when he's working. "Hey."

"Hey." He nodded, not sparing me a glance.

"We need to talk!" 

"What's--" Bruce glanced at me, did a double take, and frowned. 

"Arthur?" Diana came in concerned. Evidently my voice carried. "What's going on?"

"Got the footage," Cyborg called. "Sending now."

"Have there been any--new developments--you care to share?" My eyes were burning through Kal-El at this point. He straightened, no longer looking at the monitors.

Bruce sat back in his chair. "We seem to have a new player--"

"No, you have an old player," I interjected, tapping my staff on the floor and not losing eye contact with Kal-El. "An old player with Kal-El's name on her lips."

Kal-El straightened. "She called for me?"

I looked at the monitor and stared at what I didn't see earlier that day. "I think the military has her." I looked at him. "She went to the water and cried for help in not one, but two--" I held up my fingers for emphasis. "Very nearly dead languages."

"Which two?" Bruce asked.

"Does it matter--" I gave a growl of frustration. "Ancient Egyptian and Hopi, I think."

Bruce typed and clicked on one screen. "I'm starting to think the Grand Canyon Temple of Isis holds more than artifacts."

"She was taken!" I hit my staff on the floor so hard I cracked it. "And she said your name." I stared at Kal-El. 

"Oh my god." Diana's eyes widened with concern. 

"Oh, and by the way," I felt my jaw clench. "Any idea where the military got Kryptonite?"

"Kryptonite?" Kal-El frowned deeper and glared at Bruce.  

Diana wasn't happy to hear this. "Bruce?"

"Once we-humans-knew that Kryptonite could kill monsters people started scouting for it all over the world," Bruce muttered. "There's not much of it, but the United States has secured the most."

"The spear?"

"No, I still have it." Bruce saw Kal-El and I react to that. "It's safe and sound."

"They made it into rope," I informed and it was my turn to get looks. "She was bleeding, and they reeled her in like a fish caught on a line." I saw Kal-El wince. "So, before we go hiking and spelunking, how about we do a jail break?"

"Jail break?" Kal-El repeated. 

"Not your scene, man," I told him. "The rest of us need to go. If we don't do something-something soon-she will be no more than a lab rat in no time. Call the kid, he could be of help. I got some ideas."

"You can do recon from here." Bruce offered, seeing Kal-El's distress. 

"Way I see it, Bruce can get us in, and the kid can speed her out."

"Well, first, we need to know where she is," Kal said.

"I think I know."

We all turned to look at Bruce and he tapped a few keys.

"Oh, you've got to be kidding!" I shook my head.

"Alcatraz?" Kal-El shook his head in disbelief. "That's a--a--"

"Tourist attraction," Bruce finished. "By day, yes, but underground at night? There's stuff going on, boats going back and forth--"

"I'm surprised you don't own it," Diana shrugged, a glint of humor in her features.

"Who says I didn't try to get it?" Bruce said with clenched teeth. 

"What happened?" I asked.

"Alcatraz was going to be demolished," Cyborg began in explanation. It was clear he was telling us what he saw on his screen. "The government offered it up for sale. Bruce was outbid at the last minute and the owner offered a partnership in profits."

"By who?"

Bruce took his time before he answered, "Lex Luthor."

"Hey!" Barry sped in, and found pizza in his usual spot. He started eating. "What did I miss?" When no answer came from any of us, he looked up. "Whoa, really, what did I miss?"

"We're going to break someone out of Alcatraz." I told him.

He turned like an animal who had been spotted, still chewing but his eyes full of alarm. "What?"

"Someone has been taken, Barry," Diana explained, leaning on the back of Bruce's chair. "We need to get in and out with someone."

"Let me get this straight," Barry said after swallowing. He slurped his drink and gulped again. "We are breaking into a prison-a world class prison turned tourist attraction?"

"Secret base underground." Bruce put in.

"Oh, underground secret base on an island hardly anyone got off of, and do it with a plus one." He was quiet, taking another slice of pizza.

"We need you for this one, Barry." Kal-El put in.

"I see," Barry munched thoughtfully, then his eyes widened. "Can I take a souvenir?"

"We'll find something," Diana said with a smile.

"And can I have chicken alfredo before I go?"

"I'm sure we can do that," Bruce rolled his eyes. "Jambalaya on the way back?"

"Oh, ah, jambalaya!" Barry's eyes lit. "I was goin' anyway, but wow--" He straightened. "I'm in."

I laughed at Barry, nodding. "Alright!"