Part 15: Break Out

BRUCE POV

BRUCE POV

I stepped inside and couldn't believe it. There were mirrors everywhere, and judging on the color, dozens of kryptonite lights. Alright, I have to blow the room. I heard a moan and whimper. First things first.

I quietly made my way through, thankful that anyone who had been in the maze knew their way through. Thanks to my night vision I could see the light tracks of shoes and boots on the floor, and didn't spare the lights or mirrors a glance. In the middle of it was only whom I could assume was Isis.

She was under a sheet, nude, and even though she seemed asleep, her face was taut with pain. Her arched eyebrows seemed permanently knitted. Her jaw was tight, making her lips thinner than they really were, I could tell. Her body was in a fetal position. 

"Isis?" I said softly, but she immediately awoke, dark eyes wide with alarm, her long lashes glistening with unshed tears I could see even in the dim l ight. I swallowed softly and took slow steps toward her. "Kal-El sent me." I finally got to her and yanked her blanket, throwing it aside. She gasped, trying to cover herself. "I'm taking you to him. The blanket has Kryptonite dust on it, which is making you sick." I tried to take off the necklace she wore to put in one of the compartments of my belt, but she struggled.  "We'll get you something else and clean this for you, I promise." Her arms slowly closed around me her eyes never leaving mine, and she relaxed. She wasn't that heavy and she had a small frame. I moved out of the room, threw two fire bombs in it, and closed the door. We didn't get far before the explosion occurred. She clenched when it happened. "Need a gown, here." I said on the comm.

"A gown?" Wonder Woman repeated.

"They stripped her." I said angrily. 

"Who are you?" Isis asked, her voice raspy.

"A friend," I told her, keeping my vision ahead to give her some modesty.

"You need a gown?" Flash said. "I found--whoa." He averted his gaze, and put his hand out with the gown in it. I took it, and put it on her, tying it as tightly as possible as she leaned on me for support. I swept her up again. "Scout ahead, make sure we've got a way--"

Wonder Woman and Aquaman showed up. "The people are gone, follow us."

"An Atlantean...and an Amazon?" Isis's eyes widened but then narrowed at Wonder Woman. "I know you..."

I nodded toward the necklace.

"We need to take this, my lady. It has been corrupted with the dust that made you sick. May I?" She asked. She reached and took the necklace, putting it on her belt.

"Is that the girdle?" Isis asked, her eyes widening as she looked at Wonder Woman's lasso.

"Long story," Wonder Woman nodded and looked at me. 

"Cyborg?" I asked.

"He's outside."

Just as we turned the corner, more men came. I handed her over to Aquaman. Wonder Woman and I fought off the guards as they came. 

"Hold on, guys." Aquaman warned. Just then water started coming in, my guess it was coming from the main entrance and the one we made. "Ride the wave!"

The water literally came down the main hall, picked us up and swelled, bringing us back out the way we came. The wave got me to my boat, and Wonder Woman half dove with the water, holding onto the side. Aquaman came out smoothly as one would a water slide and dolphins slid under his feet. 

"Everybody okay?" I asked.

Just then, we noticed Kal-El, his cape waving in the wind. He slowly ascended with his arms open and Aquaman handed her to him.  I watched her slump against him, and I found myself swallowing hard as tears ran down her cheeks.

"See ya back at the ranch!" Flash informed, seeing everyone was out, and ran on the water toward shore. 

Wonder Woman smiled as another pair of dolphins came under her feet. "Everything alright?"

"I think so." I nodded. She couldn't take her eyes off Isis. Why?

Cyborg stepped on the dolphins behind Aquaman. "Let's go."

We took the long way around in stealth as we watched the police speeding toward the island. I watched Superman speed off into the night with her, almost faster than the eye could see.

The next morning I did a check on everyone. 

I saw Kal-El was laying down in a cot next to Isis, who was in a bed. They slept like the dead, but Isis? She looked different even in sleep. She had bathed and laid in a beautiful gown. Where did that come from?

Diana was already up and making coffee.

"Hey." I nodded, getting coffee. 

"Hey." She nodded, sipping her own. "She is real."

"Real?"

"She is the Isis who helped my people escape when Heracles and men of Greece tried to imprison the Amazons. I wasn't born yet, but my grandmother Otrera was alive then." She paused. "I look like her, and Isis saw my likeness."

"That's why you kept looking at each other."

"Her statue is in our hallowed halls on Themyscira wearing the same necklace and there has been none like it in history." 

"None?"

"You forget, I work in a museum," Diana said, sipping thoughtfully. "I'd know if I saw it."

Victor and Barry came in, but of course, Barry sped to the refrigerator. 

"The necklace," Victor nodded, handing it to Diana.

"Thank you, she will be so happy to get it back," Diana smiled, looking at it and shaking her head. "Thank you."

"Yes!" Barry smiled widely. "Leftovers." He pulled out a pan of chicken alfredo. His eyes widened, remembering his manners. "Oh, anybody--"

"No." We all answered in unison. We all knew he could down it.

He put the whole thing in the convection oven, standing there like a puppy in a butcher's window.

Alfred came in with pastries and gourmet food. 

"Oh, Alfred!" Diana breathed. "Perfect timing!"

"Milopita for the lady."

"Oh, you spoil me!" Diana sighed, taking the Greek apple cake. She bit into it. "Mmm."

I raised an eyebrow as I was given salmon and swiss on croissant.

Victor nodded his thanks as he took his bagel sandwich. 

"I brought Kunafa cheesecake for our guest," Alfred nodded. "Where is she?"

"Still in bed, Alfred." I answered. 

He nodded, made a tray of coffee, tea and the cake for two and went to the room. 

"Alfred, would you take this to her, please?" Diana asked, setting the necklace on the tray. "She will be overjoyed to see it, I'm sure."