Chapter 28. Make it right

Since we went to dress shopping so late, we had the store all to ourselves. No other students were lurking around, trying to steal possible dress choices, and who would want to cause scandal by wearing the same dress than someone else?

I knew I had no worries about that, since my dress was from New York, and I knew that there was no way a dress like that could have landed to a small place like Hogsmeade. But considering how late we were to all this, the girls still had really nice options left.

The shop owner had kindly offered me some tea and cookies, while I was waiting for Lily, Alice and Marlene, who decided to stick around the last minute, to get ready. "Alright, you ready?" Alice asked.

"No, I'm just going to close my eyes," I giggled, making Alice laugh a little sarcastically.

"Haha-ha, so funny Aurora!" she muttered and stepped outside from the fitting room. This was the second dress she had tried on, and already it was better than the first one.

"So you have decided to be the one to represent the house colours then?" I smiled and looked at the red dress on her. It had a sweet-heart neckline and was quite bouncy looking from the bottom. It was pretty, there was no doubt of that, but I knew there would still be another dress better fitting for her.

"Yeah, well Frank decided to wear a blue velvet tuxedo without even asking me first, so I decided that it would only be fair if I represented my own house as well," she smiled confidently. "But so what do you think? I think it's pretty nice, and that we are getting close to the best one, but this is not quite there yet."

"I think so as well. I think you should try the last dress you picket, that seemed pretty nice. You could also pair it with some blue long gloves and maybe a red flower in the hair?"

Her eyes started to beam with excitement. "Oh I think that would be prefect, thanks!" she squealed happily, and was just about to leave when Marlene stepped out from her fitting room, wearing the fourth dress she had picked.

She looked herself from the body-length mirror and moved around to see the dress in every angle. The smug expression on her face only told me that no matter what she was going to wear, she wanted to show it to me, just to make me feel unconfident about myself. And it was working, for Marlene was one of those people who looked good in everything. She had a great body, beautiful facial features and great hair. Every girl could feel her confidence no matter what. But the fact that she wanted to annoy me because of Sirius, was all so wrong.

"Well I think this is the best out from all the dresses I have tried out so far," she smirked and then looked at me for the first time. "Or what do you think?"

I crossed my arms and nodded my head. "Well it is pretty."

She just scoffed. "That's what you said about the previous three dresses. Come on, spit your opinions out!"

"Well if you really want my opinion then I think that's not the dress for you."

I couldn't believe what was coming out from my mouth. Although I had never really been the best of friends with Marlene, we still have been friends for a long time. But to come to this point where our friendship has turned out like this...feels so wrong. My comment didn't make her crumble, but I knew my words annoyed her more than they should.

"Oh...and you reasoning to this is?"

"It's the wrong colour for you skin shade," I said, although she knew I was lying. Purple was the best colour for her skin shade, and it has always been. She just sneered and was just about to say her comeback to this, when our attention was caught by Lily who finally stepped out from her fitting room, wearing the last dress that I had actually picked for her.