- 21 - Contractions

Christmas and New Year flew by and I didn't know what I would have done without Taron. It felt like he knew just what I was thinking. Except for the fact that I loved him.

I woke up to having cramps in my belly. It was probably just because the baby was growing. I had a hard time getting up though and Taron looked at me worriedly.

I almost forgot all about the pain and kissed him when I looked at his dishevelled hair and crumbled PJ's.

"Are you okay?" he asked worriedly.

"I'm fine" I said "I'm just –"

I let out a breath.

"I feel like a whale"

Taron smiled "But a very pretty whale"

I smiled. I was happy he tried to cheer me up but there was no denying I was huge.

I was happy to meet Sofie again. We would meet up and Attendant Fitzrovia, a coffee bar near Oxford Circus. Taron insisted on driving me before he would go grocery shopping, so I didn't have to take the Tube.

"Thank you" I smiled as I got out of the car

"See you later, have fun" Taron blew me a kiss.

My legs were weak as I walked into the café, and I knew that had nothing to do with the baby. That was all Taron.

Sofie was already waiting for me when I arrived.

"It's so good to see you" I smiled.

"You too" we hugged "Look at you, you're glowing"

I sighed as I sat down "I don't feel like I'm glowing. I feel like a whale. And whenever she moves or kicks I feel like my heart stops.

Sofie's smile widened "That's totally normal. How long do you have left?"

"2 weeks" I whined. "I hope she won't be late"

"Well Nia was a bit late, babies never arrive on the scheduled date" she smiled "But it took them too long for an epidural in my case. But luckily all was good and it was just 10 hours in total"

I gaped. I had heard it could be long but –

"Just 10 hours?"

Sofie nodded "Yeah. I heard some women are in labour for days"

I frowned and felt my body shaking. I wouldn't survive that.

"Oh don't worry about that" she placed her hand on mine "I'm sure you'll be fine!"

I laughed nervously "Well I hope so"

"Did you choose a name yet?" she wriggled her eyebrows.

I smiled "We did. But we'll keep it a secret till she's here" I ran my hand over my belly.

It felt like bad luck to tell people already.

"I understand that. I'm sure it's a beautiful name, just like her" she smiled.

I smiled. I couldn't wait to hold her in my arms.

"Anything else you think I should know about?" I asked

"Well there are some things nobody told me in advance, but I don't want to scare you"

"Please" I pleaded "I need the truth"

"Well –" she let out a breath "Things might not work as planned. But just know that there are people there to help you. Also your man..." she looked at me.

I shrugged "I haven't decided yet. I heard that for men watching their women giving birth is like seeing their favourite pub burn down"

Sofie threw her head back laughing "I have never heard of that one before"