- 11 - Shopping

My feet were starting to hurt badly. But we had gotten onesies, pacifiers, blankets and were in the middle of picking a cot.

There were a lot of great ones but there was one that specifically caught my eye.

It was a white wooden cot with a pink dotted wall inside and mattress. And it even had a drawer under the bed which was practical. It also had a mosquito net, not that we needed one but it looked cute.

"That one?" Taron asked.

How did he know me so well already?

"Oh, that's a great one" the sales woman said "It's baby friendly wood, all made in Italy and has a orthopaedic bed base and mattress"

She went on but I already knew I needed to have it.

"How much is it?" I asked absentmindly.

"It's 600 pounds" she said and my heart stopped for a second "But it's worth every penny"

I looked over at Taron to find him watching me. I didn't know how he knew that I wanted this cot, but he did.

"We'll take it" he said, not dragging his eyes away from mine.

I smiled.

"Perfect" the sales woman said "Let me check stock for you"

They still had one on stock and Taron loaded it into his car. It was only one though, not two. So where would she sleep if she was with him?

I sighed when we drove back to his place. Taron glanced over to me.

"What's wrong?"

I shrugged "I don't think it makes sense to buy everything twice" I looked down "I mean this cot was 600 pounds alone"

"Milly" he said quietly "I told you I can take care of that"

I remained silent and was growing sadder by the second. I didn't want to be away from my baby girl at all. How was I supposed to let her stay at his place? But then I knew he had a right and deserved to see her as much as possible.

But it would break my heart to be away from her.

Taron

Milly was acting weird. I couldn't really put my finger on it, but I was guessing it was the hormones. I wanted to be there for her, and the baby, but she didn't really let me.

She looked at me so intently every time, my skin heated up. I would definitely have to get that under control, she was engaged after all.

"Should we bring the things to your place right away?" I asked.

Milly was staring out of the window. She seemed focused.

"Yeah" she said quietly "Probably makes sense. My feet really hurt"

She looked over to me and smiled, as if she had made up her mind.

My heart beat picked up whenever she looked at me like that.

"All right" I said as I tried to focus on the road.

Then I remembered what she had said earlier. That she had signed up for birth class.

"Will Josh be taking you to birth class?" I asked, trying to sound nonchalant.

I wanted to be a part of the development of the baby. From what I have read she had to kick already but I would never experience putting my hand on her belly for sure.

"We don't know yet if he can make it" she said "He has a lot going on with work right now"

I raised my eyebrows and blinked, staring at the road ahead. How could work be more important to him than the baby and her?

"I'd be happy to take you" I said and glanced over at her.

She looked down at her legs and exhaled.

Was she unsure? "Only if you want me to of course"

"I'll let you know" she said quietly.

We arrived at her place and I pulled the car over. I started to carry all the things upstairs while Milly opened the doors for me and set them down.

"Do you have a bedroom for the baby?" I asked her, a bit out of breath.

It was a hot day today and I wiped the sweat off my forehead. Maybe I shouldn't have worn white either.

"No" she sighed "She'll sleep in our room"

I wanted to tell her that I had a baby bedroom ready, she just hadn't seen it yet. I wanted to tell her that she could move in with me, but then this would never be a possibility.

"Okay good" I said "Should I set up the cot right away?" I asked.

Where was her fiancé anyway?

She looked at me for a second. Something had changed in the way she looked at me, I wonder what it was.

"That would be great. Josh won't be home until later tonight"

I frowned but didn't reply as I pulled the assembly instruction from the packaging.

"I can help you" she suggested.

I looked up to her as I was kneeling on the floor, trying to move all the pieces out of the packaging.

"No, no" I said quietly "You sit down and rest"

It was easier to set up than I thought but I sweated nonetheless. I didn't remember any summer being as hot as that one. I got out of my white shirt so I was only wearing my white top and shorts.

Milly

I was seriously bothered. I was sitting on the couch since Taron had insisted I rested. I wanted to help, but I also felt really exhausted from being on my feet all day.

And here I was, watching him set up the cot like the amazing dad he would be, in nothing but a white top and shorts, that left little to the imagination.

I was sweating even though I didn't even move.

I checked my phone, trying to distract myself and found I had gotten a text from Josh while Taron and I had been out.

<<Won't be home until late tonight, I'm sorry. Love you xx>>

I had felt so lonely recently. I knew Josh did what he needed to do to save his business but often enough I was just sitting on the couch by myself watching TV and just wanted someone who would wrap his hand around me, held me close.

With birth class starting in a few weeks I was seriously starting to wonder who I should take. Maybe I should just go on my own.

I didn't think Josh would be able to make the time and he wasn't that invested in the baby, and Taron – well he made me feel things I was too afraid to feel.

"All set" Taron breathed out and I looked over to him.

I had a hard time dragging my eyes away from his shoulders and arms before I could meet his eyes

"Perfect, thank you" I smiled.

"No worries" he smiled back as he brushed his hair out of his face with his arm.

His phone rang and I watched him as he pulled out his phone from his shorts.

"Lindsay?" he answered.

He looked at me as he listened. And I watched him frown.

"Oh no" he whispered.

My heart leaped. Had something happened?

He nodded "Yeah I'll talk to her. Thanks. I'll call you later"

He hung up and I waited for him to speak but he didn't.

He gulped as he looked at me.

"What is it, Taron?"

He looked down, burying his face in his hands for a second. Then he looked up to me again, his face worried.

"The paps caught us. There are pictures of the two of us all over the Internet"