- 14 - Hospital

I was crying while still sitting on the toilet when I realised I had to act. I got dressed, took my handbag and walked into the living room, waking Josh who was peacefully asleep.

"What is it?" he grumbled.

Had he ever been such an asshole?

"I'm bleeding. I need to go to the hospital" my voice was uneven.

He looked at me "I have to be up early tomorrow"

I laughed sarcastically "If you have ever loved me and not just pretended to love me you will drive me to the ER right now"

I started yelling.

"Okay, okay" he said as he got up.

I texted Taron on the way to the hospital. Once I had sent the text, I wish I could take it back. He would only worry too much. I was already a nerve wreck as it was.

I was imagining all kinds of scenarios in my head and none of them were good news. But I remembered my baby hadn't kicked all night. I really hoped that didn't mean what I thought it did.

We arrived at the hospital and Josh just dropped me off. I was on the verge of yelling at him for being such an asshole but I reminded myself that I had to focus on my baby.

I registered at the front desk and they let me into an ultrasound room. I was breathing so hard I could barely focus.

I lay down, praying to God there would be a heartbeat.

A doctor in his fifties walked in

"Hi, I'm Dr. Davies"

"Hi" I said shakily and we shook hands.

"Let's see what we got okay?" he said "From what you said it sounds like all is well"

I almost started crying. I could only hope so. Because the alternative would be wrecking up my life.

He put the ultrasound device on my belly and I waited.

These seconds felt like years.

Then we heard her heartbeat.

"There is your baby" the doctor smiled "She looks well. Bleeding is unusual in this stage, but from what I see you have nothing to worry about"

Then I started to cry. Because I was so relieved she was still with me.

"Thank you, doctor" I sniffled. "How does it happen though?"

"It can be caused by stress or exercise" he looked at me. "So make sure you rest and avoid stress"

I hadn't exercised. But I had been stressed.

This was all Josh's fault.

"We will keep an eye on you for a day and if everything is great we can discharge you tomorrow"

I nodded "Okay, thank you"

Once I had a bed and they had a constant ultrasound around my belly to watch the baby, I decided to text Taron.

<<All good. False alarm. Just have to stay here till tomorrow>>

I slept a bit because I was just tired, as was my girl. When I woke up I found Taron sitting in the chair next to my back. He was wearing a hoodie and jeans but his face -

I gasped. He seemed to have been in an accident.

"What happened to you?" I asked worriedly, suddenly remembering the images from all these years ago.

He frowned "Nothing"

"Your face" I almost wanted to reach out and touch his cheek.

He smiled "Oh that's just makeup. I came straight from work"

"How are you?" he dragged his chair closer to my bed.

"I'm good. Thank God" I sighed in relief "I – I thought –"

That was when the tears came back.

"I thought I had lost her" my voice was quivering.

I looked at Taron who was almost crying with me. His green eyes seemed so sad and anxious.

"What happened?"

"I don't know. I just got up in the middle of the night and found out I had been bleeding. I – I was so scared" I looked down.

Taron took my hand in his and I was so glad I had him back. It had only been a few days but after the drama last night I needed him now more than ever.

He intertwined our fingers and my heart skipped a beat.

"Bleeding doesn't happen just like that, from what I have read" he said softly "You can tell me"

I looked at him and his green eyes were so sincere.

Thinking back to it I was even angrier at Josh.

"Josh and I had a fight" I said quietly "He said he can't raise a baby that isn't his"

I didn't meet Taron's eyes and it took a second for him to react.

"That asshole did what?" he practically yelled.

"Shhh" I tried to calm him down.

"I know. It threw me off and I –" I sighed "Well I cried all night"

Taron's brows were furrowed and his jaw was clenched. I didn't think I had ever seen him like that before.

When his eyes met mine again his features softened "I can't believe he did this to you"

All I wanted to do was reach out and touch his cheek. Actually I did exactly that. Taron blinked slowly, parting his lips and maybe that was the reaction I had been waiting for.

"It's all good now" I whispered.

"It will be" Taron said, more meaning in his voice than I could pick up on.

I let out a breath "I hope so. I never wanted to – to raise a child on my own. I mean you're her dad and all" I said quickly "But it's not like we're..."

I gulped.

We weren't lovers. I would still have to juggle my job and the baby somehow.

"Did you break up with Josh?" Taron asked slowly.

I almost picked up hope in his voice.

I scoffed "Yeah. I mean we didn't really talk but the way he treated me – I can't believe I only found out now who he really is"

I started rambling "I'll have to move out and also bring all the baby stuff. And I'll have to find a place to stay, maybe with a separate room for the baby"

"Move in with me" Taron interrupted me.

My eyes shot to his. He meant this.

"Taron" I said "I don't know if that's a good idea"

"Why not?" he asked "It will be so much easier to take care of the baby"

Did he think we were friends only?

"There is still so much to think about" I said "Maybe I should have my own place. I have to think of the baby first"

"Milly" he exhaled my name and my body was covered in goose bumps

"Don't you think it's the best for the baby if we're together?" his voice was low.

"I mean we're her parents"

My belly fluttered and I grabbed Taron's hand and put it on my belly. He was surprised for a split-second before he realised what was going on. She was kicking again.

His smile widened, as did mine.

"I was so worried" he whispered eventually and I looked over to him.

He reached up and caressed my cheek with his hand. My spine tingled at the contact.

"So worried" he repeated and his eyes travelled between mine before he looked at my lips.