nine. geralt's p.o.v.

"I want to go back

"I want to go back."

Geralt halted in his steps and looked up at her face now, seeing just how uncomfortable she was becoming. In truth, Geralt wasn't uncomfortable himself but agitated. Those were close enough a feeling.

"Go back?" Jaskier gasps loudly, stopping along with the two of them. "Absolutely not, look at you. No need to feel insecure, you're going to catch the eyes of many me tonight."

Geralt actually felt himself involuntarily tense up at Jaskier words, his scowl turning menacing now.

"I don't want to catch any eyes." Jamie whispers harshly, only made Geralt almost nod his head in agreement, "I'm serious, I-"

Geralt released a deep sigh, he didn't see them getting out of this situation at all. So he walked around Jamie, that way he was standing directly in front of her. He took her shoulders in his hands gently, but the feeling of her bare skin against his fingertips made his hands warm up. He had to calm himself, "You are not going back. Especially not alone."

"Why not?"

Jaskier watched Geralt, and the witcher could feel the look that the bard was giving him, "I think what Mister Broody-Eyes is trying to say is that you look quite marvelous. And marvelous looking women get taken advantage of when walking alone. And no one wants you to be taken advantage of tonight."

Geralt's eyes connected with Jamie's and her entire face flushed red as the words hit her, "I... It's stupid but I'm nervous."

"Don't be nervous." Jaskier took Jamie from Geralt, wrapping his arms around her shoulders and not noticing Geralt's jaw tense, "If anything were to happen tonight I-" He finally noticed Geralt's expression, "Ah- Geralt will come to your rescue."

"This whole thing is stupid-" Jamie barked harshly over at Jaskier as he kept them moving into the banquet hall, "If you knew some level of self-restraint and kept your fucking penis in your damn trousers then there wouldn't be a problem. In all honesty, you need more protection than I do. You're more likely to get penetrated by another man and not in the fun way."

Geralt had the same reaction as Jaskier, but he didn't physically show it like the bard did. "I do not know how to feel about that."

"How unfortunate." The second Jamie walked into the hall, she turned around but walked right into Geralt.

He held her for a moment and whispered, "Stop worrying."

Jamie's eyes connected with his as her mouth slightly dropped open, "You say that like it's easy."

"Don't catch anyone's attention-"

"Do you see the other women?" Geralt finally looked away from Jamie, just noticing how he didn't even look at any of the other women in the room until she said to. "Jaskier, why did you make my dress so revealing?"