four. geralt's p.o.v.

Geralt knew that Jamie wanted to talk to him about what had happened, but each time she would try he'd shut her down instantly

Geralt knew that Jamie wanted to talk to him about what had happened, but each time she would try he'd shut her down instantly. He didn't want to open up to her like they were extremely close. Like that didn't just meet one another. He didn't need this kind of crap in his life. Yet, he kept on checking over the wounds she had gotten, especially the cut on her neck despite how small it was.

"It's fine..." Jamie mumbles softly as Geralt forces her to sit.

Geralt ignored her and pushed her head up to look at the cut. It wasn't as deep as he thought it was but the wound was bleeding heavily. He wiped at the blood.

"So... Are you okay?" She whispers, flinching when he pressed harder against her wound, "I know that... like... you and Renfri must-"

"Stop talking." Geralt cut her completely off with a curt and dark voice. He saw that she swallowed by watching her throat shift. He had made her worried and uncomfortable, and felt bad, but at the same time didn't care. He shouldn't care if she wanted to know or not. He just wanted her to shut up.

Geralt glanced over at Jamie, who was walking alongside him. He noticed how she would look at him constantly throughout the day. He wanted to not watch her, not deal with her. But he also didn't want to leave her alone. Especially after what happened when he did leave her.

"I don't like silence." Came Jamie's soft voice.

"I do."

There was another layer of silence suddenly, especially when Geralt made it clear he didn't want to speak with her.

"I never thanked her."

He almost sighed. She was trying to talk again. Instead of looking at her, he kept his eyes ahead, "For what?"

"Just... for everything." Her voice was hesitant as if she knew he wasn't in a chatting mood, "I don't know what I'd do without you." She released a nervous laugh which finally cause Geralt to look over at her, "I'd probably be dead in a ditch somewhere to be honest."

Geralt felt himself grimacing at her words, thinking that she could be dead somewhere wasn't exactly making him happy, "Stop talking."

Jamie herself grimaced, "Sorry."

Realizing that she most likely took it in a bad way, Geralt sighed loudly, "Do not talk about being dead."

"Oh, sorry." Her repeated apology almost made him tell her to not apologize all the time as well. And as he went to tell her, he heard her mumble, "Gross."

Geralt finally took in her appearance, she was actually filthy, "You need to clean yourself?"

"I'm okay." Jamie told him as an instant response, yet a little awkward still, "I can handle the smell."

With another long sigh, Geralt knew that she needed this. At least a break from walking, which she might be putting on a tough act when in reality she wasn't okay at all. So he turned Roach with the reins and headed towards the river, since he preferred to travel along the river rather than the main roads.