35

Sandros rounded the corner of the burning inn but didn’t see Akin or Marion. He knew he had placed Akin right beside the entrance to the stables. Where were they? Sandros then heard voices coming around the corner of the stables. Voices he didn’t recognize. He ducked back into the burning inn. The female on his shoulder then suddenly kicked him in the chest and began pummeling his head with her fists. Sandros slammed her on the floor so hard it knocked the wind from her and she sat stunned for a few moments starring up at Sandros. He immediately grabbed her wrists in a vice like grip and hauled her to her feet and drug her into the kitchen. Smoke filled the inn with a ashy haze and the heat was so intense Sandros felt his skin growing hot. They couldn’t hide in here long. He found what he was looking for though. He grabbed a rag from the counter and tore it with his teeth. He then tied the assassin’s wrists tightly in a hard knot that he had often used when tying boulders to the pulley lift they used while rebuilding the Galdon arena. If it could hold boulders being lifted then it could hold a wily Assassin.

            “Do you honestly think you will escape?” the female said in her whispery voice again.

            Sandros didn’t even bother grunting. He slung her over his shoulder again and then tied her feet with the other half of the rag in the same knot.

            “You are the lone survivor of Rega,” the female continued. “Those men outside finished off your friends and no doubt the three pirates that tried to hold King Gragon’s men off are dead as well. You are all alone, stranger, and you have no chance.”

            “That’s what the green men said in Galdon too, but I’m still here and they aren’t,” Sandros said as he warily began exiting the inn again. He didn’t hear any of the voices he had heard before and he still didn’t see Akin or Marion. He hurried over to the stables and warily entered. He was surprised the Assassin had not tried yelling out for help. This woman was a strange one. No doubt, Sandros thought warily, she wanted the pleasure of killing them herself.

            “Sandros?” a sweet voice called out from above his head.

            Sandros looked up to see Marion’s eyes peeking at him from a slit among the boards that made up the loft of the stables.

            “Where’s Akin?” he asked.

            “Here,” he heard a weary voice call out.

            “We’ve got to get out of here and head towards Seliz. Come on,” Sandros said roughly.

            “There were green men around here,” Marion said still not leaving the loft.

            “They’re gone,” Sandros said.

            “Are you sure?” a strange voice said behind him. Sandros turned to see two green men standing behind him. He tossed the Assassin to the floor and unsheathed his sword. It sang as it exited its scabbard.

            “More?” the second green man chimed. “Where do all these pockets of survivors keep coming from? First the pirates near that tavern and now this rag tag group of misfits.”

            “What pirates?” Sandros asked suddenly feeling anxious.

            “That’s none of your concern, cause you’re about to join them,” the first green man said and charged toward Sandros. Swords clashed in a deadly duel as the second green man made his way up to the loft.